Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinRowe57
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

8 Nov 2017 problem with BT servers?

Is ther a problem with the BT servers?

I'm on the old BT YAhoo Mail and using POP3 to download messsages to email clients (Outlook on PC for main email account and  Thunderbird on laptop for sub account)

Since the evening of 07/11/17 all m
y  BT email accounts have stopped downloading messages to my laptop and PC using Outlook (on PC) and Thunderbird (on laptop)

I don't get any eror messages in Outllok or Thunderbird - I can connect to the servers using POP3 and I can log in, I can send messages from Outlook and Thunderbird using POP3, but I can't receive messages

I can still see my incoming messages on webmail, but I prefer to see them in an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird (using POP3)

Is this yet anoter BT server problem? If it is a server error, there's nothing we can do at our end and we simply have to wait until it's fixed. In the meantime I've turned on Vacation Response via webmail for all my BT email accounts and I'm asking peole to send messages to my gmail accounts instead.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: 8 Nov 2017 problem with BT servers?

@MartinRowe57 wrote:

Is ther a problem with the BT servers?

I'm on the old BT YAhoo Mail and using POP3 to download messsages to email clients (Outlook on PC for main email account and  Thunderbird on laptop for sub account)

Since the evening of 07/11/17 all m
y  BT email accounts have stopped downloading messages to my laptop and PC using Outlook (on PC) and Thunderbird (on laptop)

I don't get any eror messages in Outllok or Thunderbird - I can connect to the servers using POP3 and I can log in, I can send messages from Outlook and Thunderbird using POP3, but I can't receive messages

I can still see my incoming messages on webmail, but I prefer to see them in an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird (using POP3)

Is this yet anoter BT server problem? If it is a server error, there's nothing we can do at our end and we simply have to wait until it's fixed. In the meantime I've turned on Vacation Response via webmail for all my BT email accounts and I'm asking peole to send messages to my gmail accounts instead.

There is a problem with the BT mail servers, and has been ongoing for many years. It doesn't affect everyone, but seems to randomly pick people.

Have you tried changing the POP3 server? Depending what you've got set already of course, and make a note of what you're changing before any changes are made.

(mail.btinternet.com, pop.mail.yahoo.com or pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk - full email address as username/login id)

0 Ratings
MartinRowe57
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I know there are problems with BT email accounts, Ive been a BT email customer for 20 years.

I'm asking if there is a more general problem at the momnnt - look at the recent topics and the number of people having issues with servers.

I'm not changing any of my settings (been there, done that many times before and it never works) From experience it's best to wait and see first

As I stated, I can log on to the servers, I can send emails. I can see incoming emails in webmail, it's only sending from Outolook that I can't do.

If BT can confirm there is a general problem, I'm prepared to wait a few days to see it it resolves.....

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@MartinRowe57 wrote:

I know there are problems with BT email accounts, Ive been a BT email customer for 20 years.

I'm asking if there is a more general problem at the momnnt - look at the recent topics and the number of people having issues with servers.

I'm not changing any of my settings (been there, done that many times before and it never works) From experience it's best to wait and see first

As I stated, I can log on to the servers, I can send emails. I can see incoming emails in webmail, it's only sending from Outolook that I can't do.

If BT can confirm there is a general problem, I'm prepared to wait a few days to see it it resolves.....

In your case it's certainly a bit different to the "usual" shall we say.

The fact that you can't receive, but can send, emails is a weird one. Do you have a tablet/smartphone with the same problem? (Though above you said you can't send from Outlook ...)

Without appearing to be patronising, is there anything on your PC/Laptop like a security package recently updated that could interfere with the pop3 access? I know in the past, some connections seem to go stale - but this has manifested itself with some website access failure. In this case a router reboot to get a different IP address has done the trick.

However, as you say, waiting could be an option.

0 Ratings