cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
User13127
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

8 WEEKS Delay powered by BT OPENREACH ENGINEERS and still waiting !!!

Go to solution

I place an order to BT for phone line and broadband on 22/06/2012 to a new property in Orpington. Initially I was told the line will be installed in 3 weeks time on 13/07/2012. My wife took a day off work to stay at home to wait for the engineer. None came, none informed us that none is going to come to install the line. I was furios and angry and fuming. I couldn't stand this situation which I was put in. I phoned BT and they said sometime next, week someone will come to install my line. I wasn't given a precise date. I said ok someone will come.

I phone BT on 21/07/12 and I was told that on 28/07/2012 we will be in touch again and the reason why the line wasn't installed was extra work is needd outside my house. At that point I found out that my neighbours are in the same situation. And they started to chase the site developer to see what is going on.

I've chased the site manager spoke with himr and I was reassuared that by there point all is in place. And I only need to connect my wire which is in front of my house (by the engineer).

On 31/07/2012 I found out that on the 27/07/2012 the engineer came to the site. On 27/07/2012 I received the following message: 

''Service has been delay due to line site access activity. Job Delay with newsites. Reason dor delay is awaiting newsite to complete thier work. Next update will get on 07/08/12. Once we will get the next update by supplier's we will get back to you. Thanks.'' 

I had in mind what the site manager told me. I said ok. Maybe, I am wrong, and I said to myself let's wait. 

I couldn't resist and on 31/07/2012 I contaced the site manager and he told me everything is in the right place by their part and it shouldn't be any delays. He specifically said there are no reason to be any delays. 

At that point I realise all was a lie. And all is a waste of my time and respect. 

I contacted the engineer and he told me that they will install the line on the 07/08/2012.  I waited until the 8th August in the morning. At that point I didn't have any messages from BT. For that reason I  decide to cancel my order with BT. 

On the same day I place on order with TalkTalk which later I found out that they share (have) the same engineer with BT from BT OPENREACH. 

On the 08/08/2012 I was told I will have my phone line installed on the 07/09/2012. Knowing that I am dealing iwth the same guys I chase them to see what is what. I found out that an engineer deserves an area. SO basicly is the same engineer, or the same team, which is logic. 

Today on 16/08/2012 I was told by the guys from TalkTalk that the engineer said I have a phone line installed, which obvioslly wasn't true. So basically the engineer mislead TalkTalk knowing very well what he was doing.  

The guys from TalkTalk verified that the line (from BT wasn't installed). They said to cancel my order. And I was put to place a new order. Which later I understand why ? When I placed the new order basiclly I lost my 07/09/2012 appoitment. 

Now what ?: 

I placed a new order the instalation will be on the 14/07/2012. But again the date is not sure. 

At this point do I have to agree any reasons from BT ? Will I need to be interested that the whole company has only 800 engineers ? Do I really need to know that ? Why there is a monopol on the engineers own by a British Company when they can see they cannot handle it ? Why, why, why ?! 

Obviously, I am gutted and frustrated by this situation !!!

I need urgent advise. And I need to refer this issue with a higher Autority. And I think I will start an complaint on Citizen Advice Bureau. And I advice all who had the time to read my story to do the same. Is unacceptable what is happening.

With regards,

Dr L.A.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 23

Re: 8 WEEKS Delay powered by BT OPENREACH ENGINEERS and still waiting !!!

Go to solution

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your having trouble with the installation  of your line.

BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP and whom operates this forum) does not maintain your line and exchange. This is done by Openreach and are not related to BT Retail.

BT Retail are a communication provider like TalkTalk and others in the UK. Openreach maintain,fix,roll out communication access on behalf of all Communication providers in the UK. Openreach are a seperate company within the BTplc group and treat all communication providers equally.

You will need to talk to your communication provider/ISP that you ordered your line from.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
User13127
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

I am referring here only to BT Openreach mainly to make it clear.

Can you tell me what is the relation then between BT Openreach and BT ? And then why is it called BT Openreach and not Openreach ?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

The correct name is simply Openreach and not BT Openreach.

Openreach are a totally separate company which is part of the BT Group of companies, just like Dabs, who operate the BT shop online.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

'I am referring here only to BT Openreach mainly to make it clear.

Can you tell me what is the relation then between BT Openreach and BT ? And then why is it called BT Openreach and not Openreach ?'

Openreach are just called Openreach, they are not, or have they ever been called BT Openreach. It was the media, papers, etc who started calling them BT Openreach, unsure why exactly as from the start Openreach have always stated that even though they are owned by the BT Group plc they did not adopt the name BT in their title because they are run and managed completely independently from the other 'BT' Group of companies. This was all agreed as Openreach of course maintain the phone network for all Service Providers, i.e. BT Retail and TALKTALK. They probably saw that calling themselves BT Openreach would give people the view that they were still part of BT Retail, which they no longer are.

Here, visit this URL from the Openreach web site and check out point 16. http://www.expect.openreach.co.uk/faqs/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Some of the Field Technicians are the worst offenders, even though it was made clear to them not to use the name BT Openreach.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

@Keith

Spot on, you can forgive an engineer who has been with the company for years before Openreach was created but I have on several occasions heard some of the guys who started after January 2006 still saying, 'hi, its the BT Engineer'!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Its worse than that for those who started in 1968, I used to get a certain BBC broadcast engineer address me as "postie", many years after BT was established., historically (Post Office Telephones).

Getting a bit off topic, so lets leave it at that.

0 Ratings
User13127
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks for informations so far.

Still, the Openreach engineers are very poor in getting their job done properlly. I know, probably, that I am hurting some feelings, but considering the facts so far, I am very much entitled to say that.

I am looking forward to see what's next !

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

When BT were referring to, 'Newsites' they were referring to a department of Openreach that arranges all the planning and installation on greenfield sites. They weren't talking about the developers who built your house.

Yes it is more than likely the developer has installed the internal wiring throughout your property but there may still be work to do on the external network such as in the PCP or installing/fitting cables to underground cable joints.

0 Ratings