cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

8 weeks waiting for Internet. Need a status update!

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this message but hopefully somebody here will be able to help me. OK, bit of a rant coming up.

I moved in to a new flat back in October and made an order to BT to provide me with phone and Internet services, both of which should have been activated on the 19th October. On the day, no engineer arrived. Instead I received a phone call to say that the engineer couldn't activate my line because there was no connection between my flat and the exchange and that they would call me the next day to arrange a new appointment. Inconvenient I thought but not the end of the world. Several days and several phone calls later it was established that when the new block of flats were built BT/Openreach had not upgraded the cabinet and there was no room for any new connections, effectively leaving a block containing 125 flats almost entirely without a telephone line or Intenet connection.

The issue was then treated as a complaint and I was passed on to the connection team in Dundee who informed me that work needed to be done to lay some cabling between the exchange and the cabinet before I could be connected. This would involve applying to the local council to close the roads and could take a number of months to be completed. At this point I was pretty frustrated but understood there was nothing more that could be done and I had no choice but to wait. I was given a direct number of a customer service guy in Dundee and he updated me once a week for the next 6 weeks or so on (lack of) progress.

2 weeks ago I came home to find cones blocking off the road outside. I asked the guy putting them out what was going on and he informed me that BT were doing cabling work overnight. A day later I then saw an openreach team who informed me they were doing joining work for the new cables. Finally I thought, progress. I called my contact in Dundee to ask him about the work and get an estimated completion date. He knew nothing about it. It seems BT had no idea Openreach were doing the work. He seemed cautiously optimistic too and said he would call me when he found out more. On Friday 4th December I received a call to say the work had appeared on the database and was estimated to be completed that day. He said he would find out the following Monday if everything went to plan and call me to arrange for an engineer to come out as a priority and activate the service as I had been waiting so long.

This is where the story ends. In the intervening 10 days I have heard nothing from BT and am now receiving no answer from the direct line to Dundee I have been using. I have seen no other work going on so I assume everything is complete and just requires an engineer to come out.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for how best to proceed with this issue? I have been slightly reluctant to call the main customer services line again as I have had nothing but bad experiences with them and didn't want to explain this whole ordeal to yet another helpdesk operative who will probably send me to the back of the queue for engineers.

Is this still my best option?

Is there anybody here from BT who can check the status of this issue for me if I provide the relevant details? I have been waiting 8 weeks now and my patience with the matter is pretty much gone.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: 8 weeks waiting for Internet. Need a status update!

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Hi Colin1234,

I am sorry to hear that your order at your new address has been delayed. I think the best thing to do it to contact the order team by live chat.

I've dropped you a private message, which includes the link to our order team. You can chat with them online.  This order team is based in the UK and will own your complaint until everything is sorted out.

Should you have any further problems after speaking with this team please let us know.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4
Moved:

0 Ratings