cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbrunner
Message 1 of 15

88 kbps broadband - I've used faster modems!

OK... had my IP profile reset to a massive 135kbps (note the irony) the last time I talked to tech support.

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed 88 Kbps

250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 88 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :896 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

What on earth gives and who do I talk to? 

Frustrated, Dave

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: 88 kbps broadband - I've used faster modems!

welcome to the forum

with your current connection speed the correct profile is 750.  I don't understand about being reset to 135 as that is rock bottom profile.

if you would like some help from the forum  please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dbrunner
Message 3 of 15

This is the info from the BT home hub:

xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 544 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;

output Power Down: 15.7 dBm, Up: 11.9 dBm;

line Attenuation Down: 61.0 dB, Up: 31.5 dB;

snr Margin Down: 7.0 dB, Up: 9.3 dB)

The results I first posted were from the BT speed test.

Just to add.. filter is connected directly to 1st socket - tried in test socket and no different.

Just tried quietline test.. no noise at all.

Not sure what it means though.

This is just so frustrating, Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

your router has reset as connection speed is different.

what about the quiet line test?

are you connected to the master or test socket?  more sockets?  ( master is first socket in your home where bt cable comes in)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dbrunner
Message 5 of 15

Hi... did the quietline test, no noise

Connected to 1st socket that comes into the house.  Have also taken face plate off and tried the test socket. No difference

Pressed reset on the router earlier, but it made no difference.

Only two other phones connected and I have even tried removing those - nop change.

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

would it be possible for you to connect to the test socket and leave it for a few days  - downside is all other sockets will not work and you would need to connect a phone to the filter in the test socket.

if possible then posting stats after connection and then we can compare after a few days in test socket   this will eliminate any noise problems caused by your internal wiring

0 Ratings
dbrunner
Message 7 of 15

I can do that but there are no other lines taken off from the main box, the main house phone is plugged into the filter so there can be no noise from the house wiring - unless it can get through the filter?

Given that, do you still think I should plug into the test socket?

Cheers, Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

the noise comes from the wiring running round your home and nothing really to do with the filter.  if the extensions do not connect to the back of the master front plate then how are they connected.

0 Ratings
dbrunner
Message 9 of 15

Two extensions come off a two-way splitter plugged into the socket on the filter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

ok so if I understand there is only the one socket in your home and the filter has an 2 way adapter connected to the phone socket which then runs 2 phones.  the router is connected to the same filter but the modem socket

0 Ratings