cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

8mb broadband first capped at 2mb then barely reaches 1mb, high noise margin (36db)

Go to solution

Hello

I have been trying to look for an answer for my problem through these forums but couldn't find a solution which could be solved by me, so I am asking fot your help.

We have a 8mb broadband and we usually get 6.5 mb which is fine but in the last three weeks the line dropped to 2mb then after a few days it barely reaches the 1mb/sec speed(950kb/s down, 850kb/sec up). Bills are paid and it seems like the problem could be outside.

I have read that you need to have at least 3 days of stable connection for the line to sync/fix itself and the noise margin would drop and the speed would increase, but this hasn't happened yet.

From what I have read I might have a stuck ip profile or a capped/banded connection which could be reseted, but I am waiting for your diagnose as well.

I appreciate every help. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: 8mb broadband first capped at 2mb then barely reaches 1mb, high noise margin (36db)

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

Re: 8mb broadband first capped at 2mb then barely reaches 1mb, high noise margin (36db)

Go to solution

14:38:38, 29 Jan. ( 101.770000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 31.40 dB downstream 14:38:37, 29 Jan. ( 100.860000) DSL line rate: 1071 Kbps upstream, 1144 Kbps downstream

Unfortunately I can't run the bt speedtester since I don't have any pc or such device with flash player, only android tablets/phone.

Yes I am connected to a master socket with a filter, and there are other sockets as well. And we do not have a landline device so I can't do that  quiet line test neither. Last time an engineer was out told be there is no "above average" noise on his device showing(it was 6.5db if I remember correctly)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

from what you have posted you are on adsl2 with connection speed of 1144kbps and noise margin of 31.4db  normal noise margin is 6db.

your connection reset today at 14.38 was that a manual reset or router dropping connection?

your download speed is low because your connection speed is very low resulting in a low profile

your profile is 88.2% of your conenction speed so to improve your profile you need to get a stable connection 24/7 so no manual resets

your noise margin in 3+ days should start to drop and your speed should start to increase giving faster download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

It was me resetting it since 3 days has passed and there was no change in the noise margin neither in the speed of connection. Is there any way to check if my connection has been capped/stuck and needs a refresh/reset from BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

your connection is probably now i a banded profile and that should release automatically given 3/5 days stable connection with no resets/drops i connection.  If you get 3+ days and still no change then repost the router stats and then we can see if mods will help get you out banding - but must have stable connection first  http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Okay, thank you, I will get back to You after 5 days or as soon as I notice any increase in speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

come back after 3+ days if no change

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

So I contacted support through chat from this website and asked if it is possible to find a solution without sending and engineer and I have got an answer that in this case they will monitor my connection for the next 24-48 hours and 1 day after the connection started improving day by day, I got my speed back. Maybe just a tiny bit less but it is usable now. Thank you for everything guys.

0 Ratings