Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
desktopgaming
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

8mb broadband now won't go above 2mb

Go to solution

This has been ongoing for five weeks now - I used to get regular speeds of well over 6mbps, now I only get 2mbps.  Time of day/night does not make any difference.

I've exchanged emails with customer services and the response has been useless - I question if they've even read what I've been telling them.  I have five PCs, a Mac, iPad and Galaxy S2 that use my network, and the speed issue affects all, so that rules out any hardware/software config problem at my end.  Also replaced the router, filter etc, and tested on a wired connection - no difference.  My phone socket looks like a really old one, with the old "T" BT logo on it with two dots for the top-right part of the T.

I've done a speed test at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and that tells me the following

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.2 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

I've complained about the quality of customer service which I've received, and now BT are telling me they want to send an engineer out this Friday, BUT if they don't find a fault they're going to charge me £99 for it!!  I've been down that road before, at a previous address and it took THREE engineers before they found the fault AND BT tried charging me nearly £200 for the first two, who just hadn't done their job properly, so I don't have a lot of faith.

I'm >> << that close to telling BT where to shove their broadband and phone line.

I see a lot of people here being told their IP Profile needs resetting and from the above which shows my IP Profile is 2Mb, I'd assume that to be the case here too, but BT say not (spoke to them on the phone not ten minutes ago).

If anybody has any suggestions on this, I'm all ears.  Another week and I'll be off to another provider.

Dave

[edit] Oh, just to add - my router is straight into the main socket to the house (it's sat about three feet away from the socket), and there's nothing else connected except the BT Homehub 2.0, and my house phone.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
desktopgaming
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: 8mb broadband now won't go above 2mb

Go to solution

This (from the router) might be useful also.  Uptime is short because I was testing with another router, though the stats are fairly typical of what I've always seen there.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:34:34
Downstream8,128 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.4 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)30.0 dB / 15.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)17 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)15
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi desktopgaming,

Could you post your full adsl line statistics including HEC, CRC and FEC Errors. You may need to click "More Details"

Also the IP Profile should automatically reset itself after 3 to 5 days of a stable connection, with the homehub connected 24/7 with no hub resets/restarts.

cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
desktopgaming
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Updated above.

The CRC errors, and Error secs are as they were just after the router was reconnected.  It isn't slowly creeping up or anything.

Oh, and about the IP Profile resetting itself - it's been like this for five weeks now and is not improving.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

OK thanks,

Please leave your homehub constantly connected and turned on 24/7 and in 3 to 5 days time the IP Profile should increase automatically.

If it doesn't then you can come back here and I'm sure the community will be able to help you out.

Cheers

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution
You need to maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days and your IP profile should rise automatically if after that time it has not risen then post back hubstats and we can put you intouch with the forum mods for an IP Profile reset
desktopgaming
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

I don't think you understand.  It has been like this for five weeks.  It has not and will not improve.  If I had posted my stats half an hour ago they would have been identical but the router up-time would have been several weeks instead of 25 minutes.  If it was going to get better, it would have done so before I went to the lengths of replacing the router - it's had plenty of time.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

thanks desktopgaming,

You can get your IP Profile manually reset, but you will need to have a 3+day stable connection first. This is to show that your line is stable and to make sure that if it was manually reset that it would automatically get drop down to 2mb again due to instability.

However the IP Profile should automatically increase with a 3 to 5 day stable connection, with no manual hub restarts/resets.

If after 3+ days of connection time showed on your adsl line statistics and the IP Profile is still at 2mb then you can come back here and the community will help you out and if needed get you in touch with the BT Care team who will manually reset your IP Profile for you.

Cheers

Try a Search
Guru
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

At 30db loop loss .... and a stable uptime of 72 hours+ .....

Your IP profile should be updating automatically from the RAS.

If it's not, for one reason or another, it can be reset by BTw, but you need to be sure about that runtime.

Any interventions by you (trying other routers for example) will only serve to restart the clock for the 72 hours+ period.

Of course, it's not beyond the realms of possibility, the exchange has had or needs an update to DLM software, that's

either not finished, nor functioning. As time goes by more parts of the network are being updated to adopt TR101

which does away with the waiting time for RAS updates ... as that action is performed locally at dslam/msan level.

All part of the fabric of sustaining 20CN and 21CN networks to run together synonemously.

But for your part you need to follow the guidance as stated ... and refer to the care team if update fails.

0 Ratings
desktopgaming
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

I wouldn't think they've been doing anything to the exchange, unless one of the hamsters that power it has died.

I live in a fairly rural area that will likely never see the wonder that is fibre optic.

0 Ratings