Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PeterKelly
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

9 day wait on line fault - Suffolk

Go to solution

Is it just me or is anyone else having a terrible wait for a line fault to be fixed in Suffolk.

I reported a line fault on the 28th on my landline. No dialtone and broadband gone. I work from home and use a SureSignal to power mobiles over broadband - so no phone, broadband or mobile signal ! BT are saying 'due to the bad weather' there is a serious outage. The suggested fix date on the fault came and went and I'm getting no new information from BT about if/when this will be resolved - absolutely no contact or info from them at all.

I'm fed up calling the fault center to get no new information and simply repeat myself. I know we've had some rain, but....

What makes this even more frustrating is I have a second land line to my office thats working just fine - unfortunately my broadband is delivered on my other line, so I know some of the cable coming to my house is ok. 

The tracker reported the fault with BT's network - not with the home or cables to the home. I know this is Sleepy Suffolk, but come on BT.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: 9 day wait on line fault - Suffolk

Go to solution

this is a post from the infinity forum aout openreach problems/delays  http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Nationwide-fault-preventing-installations-today/td-p/498185/p...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PeterKelly
Beginner
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply - Great if BT could update the fault with a new 'proposed' fix date.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution
They will up date as and when there is further information available from OPENREACH currently the same MBORC (matters beyond reasonable control) are still in place and will remain in place until the the current situation Nationally improves
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

'Thanks for the reply - Great if BT could update the fault with a new 'proposed' fix date.'

If a repair goes over the commitment date all Openreach do is bring that date forward everyday. For instance if it was Monday they would say Tuesday, then when Tuesday comes they just change it to Wednesday and so on.

As thingy said Openreach are super busy at the moment and the world and his wife are waiting for a line to be fixed/installed. All you can do is wait.

0 Ratings
PeterKelly
Beginner
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution
Thanks guys.
0 Ratings
Swanner
Beginner
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

I live in the South and my line fault took 12 days to fix (Sunday to Friday). It is OK excusing bt on the grounds on MBORC, but is this being used as a general excuse? At the very outset I was given a date 11 days away, so bt must have been anticipating MBORC before they even occurred. 

On another thread, someone in Sevenoaks reported a fault. Sevenoaks has an exchange, yet it was fixed by an engineer from Maidstone 20 miles away. http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Nationwide-fault-preventing-installations-today/td-p/498185/p...
Do the arithmetic on how many jobs are completed per day. This sounds to me a logistical defect, not a weather problem.

Needless to say, my complaint was difficult to make and fruitless.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

'On another thread, someone in Sevenoaks reported a fault. Sevenoaks has an exchange, yet it was fixed by an engineer from Maidstone 20 miles away.'

So what's your point? Openreach engineers don't work in one specific exchange area, if we did we would either be extremely busy or sat twiddling our thumbs. We have what we call a Perferred Work Area, mine covers distances of upto about 20 miles from my home where I garage and then I have a 'Secondary Perferred Work Area' which is anything upto 50 miles away, infact it is quite common for me to visit anything upto 3 different counties in a single day.

0 Ratings
Swanner
Beginner
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

plainview,
Thanks for your view that this is a good logistical practice.
I still struggle with why a couple of years ago bt could promise repairs next day, then last year it rose to 3 days, and this year it still says 3 days, but that 3 days has become a vacuous promise.
May I ask a question. If a fault arises for a customer in, say, Sevenoaks, are you saying that it will not come up as next job (or early job next day) for an engineer whose PFA is Sevenoaks, but instead goes into a regional pool of, say, Kent, East Surrey and East Sussex? The next job for, say, a Sevenoaks engineer, is not in Sevenoaks, but could be anywhere in those 3 counties. This means say engineers would be, not "twiddling their thumbs", as you put it, for an hour or so waiting for a local job, but instead spending their day driving around criss-crossing each other over south-east England.
Of course if one locality is very over-burdened, then the neighbouring area can shuffle along, and so on across a region, but that is a different thing from a regional pool.
The proof of the pudding as to whether your "3 county" method is more efficient is if the waiting lists are falling. Is there evidence of this? Are waiting lists and repair times published? It looks to me that both are lengthening, and that would be because the new logistical system means that the staff time spent on repairs, rather than driving around the counties, has fallen.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

'I still struggle with why a couple of years ago bt could promise repairs next day, then last year it rose to 3 days, and this year it still says 3 days, but that 3 days has become a vacuous promise.'

Been doing it over 10 years and never in all that time have BT or Openreach "promised" to fix a line within one day or even three days. Until an engineer goes out and see's what is wrong how could they possibly know how long it will take to fix and therefore give being giving out false promises.

'If a fault arises for a customer in, say, Sevenoaks, are you saying that it will not come up as next job (or early job next day) for an engineer whose PFA is Sevenoaks, but instead goes into a regional pool of, say, Kent, East Surrey and East Sussex? The next job for, say, a Sevenoaks engineer, is not in Sevenoaks, but could be anywhere in those 3 counties. This means say engineers would be, not "twiddling their thumbs", as you put it, for an hour or so waiting for a local job, but instead spending their day driving around criss-crossing each other over south-east England.'

No, when you report a fault it goes to the bottom of the queue, when it gets to the top it will go out to an engineer. OFCOM monitor and do spot checks on Openreach to ensure they aren't favouring one service provider over another. So lets say Mrs Smith at 1 Whatever Road in Town A who is with BT Retail reports a fault on Monday. Then Mr Jones of 3 Nowhere Road in Town B (5 miles away) who is with Sky reports a fault on Tuesday. Then Ms Evans of 3 Whatever Road in Town A who is also with BT Retail reports a fault on Wednesday morning.

An engineer goes out to Mrs Smith on Thursday, fixes the fault and closes the job. When he signs in for his next job the computer should automatically give him the closest job to him, but one that is nearer the top of the queue, which would be Mr Jones in town B. If the engineer was intentionally given Ms Evans job straight after and those jobs were spot checked by OFCOM they would raise questions as to why Mr Jones had to wait two days yet Ms Evans onl had to wait one?

'The proof of the pudding as to whether your "3 county" method is more efficient is if the waiting lists are falling. Is there evidence of this? Are waiting lists and repair times published? It looks to me that both are lengthening, and that would be because the new logistical system means that the staff time spent on repairs, rather than driving around the counties, has fallen.'

The three counties thing might not be so common, I get it a lot as I just so happen to live on the border of three different counties, all of which are mostly made up of rural area's. I would say engineers is larger towns and cities stick to their own work area more often than not.

The thing about faults is Openreach will fix them as soon as the possibly can, they don't intentionally put off doing them or take 3+ days to fix them because they think its funny and are doing it for a laugh. I always say the same to everyone, 'if you have to go without a phone or broadband for a few days boo hoo, get over it and make do.'

0 Ratings