cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

£99 to fix a fault

Back in 2006 a BT Engineer installed an ADSL filter faceplate to my master socket to resolve our issues with slow connection.  It worked OK until last night when we lost the broadband connection completely.

I was able to get my connection back by removing the faceplate and connecting the Home Hub via a microfilter. 

I phoned BT this morning with the simple (so I thought) objective of obtaining a replacement faceplate.

The call centre operative insisted that the problem was with "my internal wiring" and told me to remove the faceplate and try to connect the Home Hub via a microfilter;  it took me a while to make him realise that I'd already done this.

When I'd finally got him to understand the situation, he announced that they couldn't send me a replacement faceplate - the whole socket would need to be replaced - and that that would be done at a price of £99.  I pointed out that that was a ludicrous amount to charge to repair a faulty item which would cost pennies - and which was BT's responsibility anyway.

He contended that the BT socket counted as "Internal wiring".  I said this wasn't the case: the socket was fitted by a BT engineer and it is the only socket in the house (there is no internal wiring running from the socket) - but he then seemed to change tack announced that this was a "one-off installation fee for the new socket".

So, it seems that I have to pay BT £99 to repair a faulty BT socket which was fitted by BT engineer - an for which I pay thirty quid a month (for a 2 megabit connection).

I can't believe that they can get away with this - do I really have to pay BT a hundred quid to for a minor repair to my BT socket? 

Do OFCOM really allow them to get away with this? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: £99 to fix a fault

faceplates are normally considered 'internal wiring' but if you have no other phone sockets in you home then there is no reason why you can leave lower faceplate off and just conenct with filter as you are currently doing.  alternatively you can get a new filtered faceplate and fit it as a straight swap

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Re the faceplate this is a comment made by a mod to me in March when I was having problems ( by email)

"Thanks for the update. The engineer made no mention of charges being applied in his notes and since the faceplate is still Openreach's responsibility I shouldn't think there will be any applied for this visit"

However I would point out that I had the entire socket replaced with a new in line one installed - in this respect it should be free as the wiring coming into my flat was exposed until the new socket was installed.

Does anyone know the exact criteria for where Openreach's responsibility ends as to me it is definitely up to and including the physical connection to the socket ie completely replacing a socket is Openreach's liabilty.

I was never billed for the socket by the way.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

The Master Socket is the responsibility of BT and should be replaced free of charge if it is faulty.  You might be charged if you had damaged it yourself.  BT will not accept responsibility for ensuring that anything wired to the faceplate actually works unless you pay them to do so.  If you could show that the faceplate, with nothing wired to it, was faulty then I think it should be replaced free of charge but you would have to re-wire any wiring you removed yourself.  But this is just my interpretation of the rules.    

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

@kevraff wrote:

I was able to get my connection back by removing the faceplate and connecting the Home Hub via a microfilter. 

Do you have wires attached to the front plate? if you do it is more than likely that the fault is either in your internal wiring or something that is plugged into an extension socket has gone faulty.

Front plates very rarely go faulty.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Removing it and using a micro filter in the test socket pretty much confirms it assuming there is no extentions connected to the faceplate. Does the op have any extentions connected to the back of the faceplate?

Just because filtered face plates use better capacitors, doesn't mean they don't drift out of spec over the years and effect change the freqency's alowed to pass though the filtered side of the filter.

0 Ratings