cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 21

A HOT! day for OR modems.

The weather forcast for SE UK tomorrow is expected to reach 28C,this will be a test for the prone to overheating OR modems.

I have tested my modem with a heat sensor and find that the hotspot seems to be in the middle of the box centre with the modem mounted on the wall.The current was reading is 30C.

Have now used a small portion of strong clue to fix a CPU fan [blowing inwards] to the hotspot on the box,and sensor readings now give only 15C.

Have not got a problem,but have just posted this to warn others that OR modems will be put to the test by nature if we have a hot August.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Drop_6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Re: A HOT! day for OR modems.

I've found a solution better than wall mounting.

Get a table and push it up against a wall, leaving a little gap between the table and wall.

Then you turn the modem so that the underside (where all the labels are) is facing towards you and the top (where the LEDs are) is facing/flat against the wall.

You use the small gap between the table and wall to allow the modem to stand on its back (where all the power/lan ports are) without the cables getting in the way.

This way, the vents on the underside of the modem that would be blocked via wall mounting are in open air, there is literally no vent blocked or constricted in any way and any heat that builds up in the unvented top panel is dissipated into the wall 😄

My modem basically never gets hot this way. 

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 21

If you feel around the blue lights of the HomeHub 3.... well that is warmer than my Openreach modem that has been on constantly since installation 17 days ago.

It is wall mounted and I am keeping an eye on it.

I think I am lucky.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 21

That sounds like a good plan Drop 6,but I have just realized that wall mounting can be done a better way.

Put in the rawl plugs and screws,but use longer screws.
Then drill 2 extra holes [or one will do] with 2 or one longer screw below the original holes [about 2 inches].
Adjust the top screws leaving about 1 inch clearance and then adjust the lower screws [or screw] to the same.
Hang the modem on the 2 screws and the bottom is kept away from the wall too by the lower screws.
Clearance all round and tidy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MedicUK
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

I keep mine in a plastic bag in the fridge, does the job :).
0 Ratings
asdti
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

@MedicUK wrote:

HeHe Smiley Very Happy

Funniest post I've seen today!  Good one!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 21

@MedicUK wrote:

Hi medicUK, does it not cause the wireless signal to drop outSmiley Very Happy

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Mr-Muddy-Paws
Beginner
Message 8 of 21

I have had serial problems with slow speed and repeated drop-outs during the hot spell. I have experimented with a trivet and a fifteen inch room fan at slowest speed and it is sufficient to restore the connection but not to reach optimum speeds. I haven't tried the fridge suggestion yet but it is my next option: either my head goes in there or the cooking Infinity box.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 21

What about coating it in sun tan lotion, maybe factor 50Smiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 21

@MedicUK wrote:

No complaining to India that your broadband keeps freezing.... Smiley Very Happy

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings