Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristopherP
Moderator-Retired
Message 11 of 15

Re: A Tale of Woe ---> Infinity Installation

Hi kamikava,

We can see your email in our Q and we will be in touch once we get to it.

Cheers,
Chris
BT Mod Team
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
Bergerman
Beginner
Message 12 of 15

I hope they are going to scrap your bill/charge for that month and offer some sort of compensation for the poor service you've received. Rule #1, do not contact BT by telephone, unless you want to waste your time talking to someone who says "Please, thank you" every few moments, doesn't live in the UK and doesn't understand or care about anything you say. Good luck, may the moderators of this forum actually do something to get your problem resolved...you wouldn't need to waste your time on posting your poor experience if the service was good from the get go.

0 Ratings
kamikava
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 15

Update After 11/02/13 Engineer Visit

So, nearly a month since I contacted the BTCare Team (two month's since my original order) I am still without broadband or a phone line. Unbeleivably I've now had THREE OpenReach engineers visit me and tell me EXACTLY the same thing.

I will say, I've been impressed with the proactive nature of the BTCare Team, and I would recommend them as the "go to people" for taking ownership of a problem and trying to solve it. Being able to speak to the same person, who understands the problem, is incredibly useful. I'm now confident that this is a greater issue in terms of communication between the network owners (OpenReach) and the line providers (BT, Sky etc.).

I will keep pushing until this problem is solved, and will update accordingly. I hope that his will help someone with a similar problem in the future, and help them avoid the hurdles along the way. I also hope that this will help BT redefine their troubleshooting and complaints process. It took me a month to get to someone who actually understands the issue and tried to help. This should have happened on day one.

I understand that contractors (OpenReach) must remain neutral to the providers (BT, Sky etc.) however this has been to the utter detriment of the customer (me!).  No matter what the provider, the customer must have the service that they have been promised, and waiting 2 - 4 weeks between OpenReach engineer visits is unacceptable.

This is what the Open Reach engineers have told me repeatedly . . .

This is the issue with my line

The house has been routed to the wrong PCP (Green Box). It is currently routed to PCP101 DP1576. This is over TWO MILES from my house. There is currently no physical connection between the house and the PCP, and this is the reason that we have neither phone line or broadband.

Why is there an issue with my line?

The previous occupiers moved from a property at one end of the town (PCP101) to this property but wanted to keep the same phone number. This house was therefore routed "virtually" to the same PCP101. Virtual routing basically bounces the connection between different PCP's along the route from the house to the connected PCP. This isn't usually an issue, but requires physical routing along that same line. If a connection somewhere is misssing (either virtual or physical) between PCP's, it is impossible to connect that line.

When those occupiers moved from our property, the physical lines between the adjoining PCP's became "free". In the time between their move and our adoption of phone and broadband, somewhere along that line we have a physical disconnection, e.g. our line along the "virtual" route is physically dangling somewhere disconnected, and that port was connect somewhere else.

When we moved in and ordered phone & broadband, the sales at BT tried to reconnect to that same PCP101(as the virtual routing said this was "OK"). However, although the house appears to be virtually connected to that PCP, the house line has NO physical connection to that PCP. At some point, somewhere, the line has been disconnected physically (for another phone line). The virtual routing says "hey go along this route", the physical routing says "that's impossible, as the line is NOT connected".

What's the solution?

A VERY helpful OpenReach engineer told me explicitly what needs to happen to connect our house correctly.

The virtual routing is OK, e.g. PCP101 has a spare line with access to Infinity. HOWEVER, the physical routing is WRONG e.g. There is no physical line between our house and PCP101. If both are corrected, then yes the line will work. If either are incorrect then nothing will work.

Going through the effort of correcting physical routing along two miles of PCP is very difficult. The engineer must visit and reroute every PCP along the line until the physical and virtual routing match. That depends on whether the intermediary PCP's have spare ports etc. etc. The line provider must also define each physical route that's required to match the virtual route.

There is a simple solution. . . .

Reprovision the line from the house, to the correct PCP e.g. Take the line that runs from the house, and route it physically to the nearest PCP. An engineer from OpenReach must come and re-run the physical copper line line between our house and that PCP.

In our case, this is PCP22 - DP909 - Pair11.  PCP22 is where all the houses on our road are routed too. It also has a spare port, and access to infinity (WOOHOO!!).

How?!

The ONLY way to do this (from the providers POV) is to CEASE the entire original line. e.g. Any/all virtual and/or physical line connections must be scrapped, thrown in the bin, kaput! And a new line provided.

The provider (BT) must then give specific instructions to the network provider (OpenReach) to where they want the line provided too. e.g. "We (BT) want you (OpenReach) to provide a phone line between house A (my property) and PCP X (the nearest PCP which has a spare line and connection to the required broadband)"

Otherwise the OpenReach engineers will be UNABLE to provide the service. The engineer that came today stated, exactly what needs to happen. However, they are unable to provide a line without authority from the provider.

Why has this happened?

The OpenReach engineer is unable to provide the new provision unless it's specified by the line provider because; if another line provider says "hey, we want that line" and another provider hasn't said the same, then they can take it regardless (because there's no historic record of another provider reserving it). So, the engineer that came today could re-route our line, but another provider could come along and take it that afternoon, that week, two years down the line unless our provider (BT) defines exactly what they want to happen. OpenReach therefore has no reason to provide that line and WILL NOT DO IT.

This is a "lack of information" error to the detriment of the customer. Due to miss-communication between BT and OpenReach, I, the customer, has been forced to negotiate between the two to solve the problem.

This has now taken a considerable quantity of my time, BT's complaint's team time and OpenReach's time. It could have been solved, or at least escalated to someone more able to fix the issue in a much shorter amount of time-frame. From a business POV this is much more expensive than it should have been due to a "historic routing error". I also assume this will take further resources in the future to obtain an adequate resolution.

Ok, so how do I ask for this?

So you want BT to reprovision your line completely? This is what you say . . . . 

"I want you to completely CEASE the current line that is provisioned for the house"

"All virtual and physical connections are to be completely and utterly SEVERED"

"Please install a NEW COPPER INSTALL" (This is the phone line only, absolutely no broadband)

"Please reprovision the house to the NEAREST PCP"

"Please ensure that the provision PCP has ""XXX BROADBAND"" available" (ensure that the PCP has infinity etc. Available).

You need to ensure that the sales guys at BT completely install an utterly new line (otherwise it will be provisioned to the old line).

Once you have an active phone line to the nearest PCP. THAT is when you require a broadband provision.

Where am I?

I have currently asked the line to be severed and resprovision to the nearest PCP (22, DP909). The BTCare member dealing with my issue is aware of, and has been tasked with, getting this across to OpenReach.

Fingers crossed this is the solution. . . 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 15

Phew... it would have been easier to move house! Hope it all gets sorted out for you, keep us updated.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 15

If both of the cabs are on the same exchange it would take a competent engineer to divert the phone line from one cab to the other with minimal effort. If the cabs are on differing exchanges a reprovide is needed.

0 Ratings