cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
groovychris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

A couple of self-install questions

I'm interested in ordering Unlimited BT Infinity 1 and installing it myself (I'm currently on BT Total Broadband), but I've got a couple of questions I'd like to ask.

Firstly, is it possible to plug the Home Hub 5 power supply into the Broadband Extender Flex which comes with the BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit?

Also, could anyone tell me the length of the ethernet cable which is supplied with the Home Hub 5, and also the length of the power supply wire?

Finally, if you temporarily unplug the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500, will it run as normal after you plug it back in?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: A couple of self-install questions

Hi Chris

Firstly, is it possible to plug the Home Hub 5 power supply into the Broadband Extender Flex which comes with the BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit? I see no reason why not

Also, could anyone tell me the length of the ethernet cable which is supplied with the Home Hub 5, and also the length of the power supply wire? Ethernet - mine is 1m    Power cable - mine is about 1m long

Finally, if you temporarily unplug the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500, will it run as normal after you plug it back in? I have the powerline without the wifi. I did and they did but they were only unplugged for 10 minutes.

Hope this helps

Tim

groovychris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Hi Tim, thanks for your help. I've got a few more questions I'd like to ask.

Firstly, I'd ideally like a ethernet cable that's as fast as the one supplied with the Home Hub 5, but about 3m in length. However, when I browsed through the BT Shop, I became confused by the quantity and variety of cables available.

So, what I'd like to know is which type I should be looking for?

Also, am I right in thinking that my upstairs desktop would have a faster connection if I hooked it up to a Hotspot 500 via an ethernet cable, than if I plugged a Wi-Fi adapter into one of its USB ports?

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 4 of 19

Search a well known auction site for a CAT 6 ethernet cable of the required length.

Although the desktop would be ideally directly connected via ethernet to the HH. The connection to the hotspot via ethernet is preferable to wireless.

groovychris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Would this do the job?: http://www.shop.bt.com/products/startech-com-3m-snagless-cat6-patch-cable---black-84NL.html?q=cat%20...

Also, my desktop is now several years old, and I was wondering whether I'm likely to encounter any compatability problems if I plug in a CAT 6 cable?

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 19

Yes it will do the job if you want to spend that much. The age of the pC has no bearing on the quality of cable used.

groovychris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Would it be possible to plug the Home Hub 5 power supply into a socket extension lead like this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 19

Yes
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
groovychris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

One last thing; if you can plug the Home Hub 5's power supply into a socket extension lead (like the one above), could you then put the socket extension lead's plug into a Broadband Extender Flex's pass through socket, or would that be one connection too many?

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 10 of 19

@groovychris wrote:

One last thing; if you can plug the Home Hub 5's power supply into a socket extension lead (like the one above), could you then put the socket extension lead's plug into a Broadband Extender Flex's pass through socket, or would that be one connection too many?

Hi there,

As far as I'm aware, the "Broadband Extender" that you have, is essentially a powerline module, which, unfortunately, cannot be plugged into an extension lead; it needs to be plugged directly into a mains socket.

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings