Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

A few questions before I upgrade to Infinity

Go to solution

Hi, Finally infinity and infinity 2 has been rolled out to my area and I am looking to upgrade, but first I have a few questions which I would like answered definitively.

I currently run my router plugged into a telephone extension socket affixed to the wall up the stairs in my home as upstairs is the only practical place to have the desktop PC's etc. Would I be able to continue this method of connection with Infinity, as my current master socket is located directly next to my electricity meter, fusebox, and about 5 tons of electrical wiring for things like the Shower, bathroom extractor fan, and 2 outside lights (this **bleep** cabling is not the responsibility of my family however, its the housing association/Council who have installed all this stuff over the 30 years we have lived here) - Master socket is actually on an external wall affixed directly next to the conduit casing in which all these cables are running. My neighbours eletricity meter etc, is also situated within their home, right next to mine obviously with an adjoining wall between them.

My current master socket is not a filtered faceplate one, but its a split box that was installed some 13-15 years ago (bottom half comes off, revealing test socket behind - an NTE5 I believe from looking at the graphics here -> http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F so would that also need to be replaced in order to have infinity installed?

The telephone extension that I currently use for the ASDL connection that I have, is wired into the panel that comes off from the front of the socket (the extension has no dial tone when the front faceplate is removed) - and attains a better speed than when having the router above the electrical gubbins which I would have to do in order to use the master socket, and in all honesty, having the master socket located right next to my front door in my hall, isnt really practical anyway with the internet using equipment all being located upstairs and connected via ethernet cable as I primarily use the internet for online gaming programs such as final fantasy 14, world of warcraft, and Xbox One, however my mother uses the internet on her tablet wirelessly for games such as Candy crush and all that stuff.

The final question would be, if I could purchase a VDSL Modem/Router to use in place of a BT Homehub, as I have found in the past that the wireless signal on these is far inferior to both previous self purchased routers I have used (Belkin and Netgear) and in fact, unless sitting on top of the router in the same room, the connection is patchy at best.

A TL:DR if you will: Can I use my existing setup of plugging an infinity capable router into my current telephone extension socket as opposed to the master socket due to terrible location of master socket right next to electrical meters and electric cabling - Running ethernet cables from downstairs to upstairs is not viable (would need at least 4 ethernet cables running up there).

Will my existing NTE5 master socket need to be replaced at all, or will this be used with Infinity now being self-install for the most part.

Can I purchase from a third party, a VDSL Modem/router to use instead of homehub as wireless on HH's is not usable, no space to relocate computer equipment nearer router, and powerline adaptors are impractical due to lack of electric wall sockets next to master socket (we have one wall socket there, and that currently powers our freezer, as there is no where else we can store the freezer - joys of living in a 30's build home)

If I can provide clarification on this, I will endeavour to do so, but obviously, due to the wiring in my home which I cannot do anything about (housing association property) and the master socket having been installed where several decades ago was apparantly the only place they could put it, I have a somewhat complicated setup, which was why I had a telephone extension socket installed up the stairs to run the router from in the first place (uses microfilters on both the master socket for the telephone, and the extension for the router)

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: A few questions before I upgrade to Infinity

Go to solution

you can use your existing nte5 for infinity connection  you can use your extisting extension for infinity conenction but you may lose some conenction speed.  you can use any compatible modem/router, separate modem and router which you choose.  I would try the hh5 before deciding though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
imjolly, thanks as ever for your answers. This is a reassurance to me that I can continue with my current set up when I progress to infinity!
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

You current setup is not a problem but as I said you may find speed is better if connected to test or master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings