cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnabrahams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

A few questions

Hi everyone. Well infinity became available in my area a couple of weeks ago so I placed an order and the engineer came and set me up on Tuesday. So far everything has been running extremely smoothly, have been syncing at the full 40/10 on option 1. Just have a few quick questions which I hope you can help me out with.

Firstly, now that I am on fibreoptic as opposed to regular ADSL, do I still need to use an ADSL filter in every socket that I want to use a phone with?

Secondly, I know that there are all these theories about regularly resetting the hub causes BT to think there may be a fault on the line. Now before I was on BT Total BB and so I just had the HH3. Now that I have both an openreach modem and the hh3, is it "safe" to reset the hh3? I ask this because, as far as I know, there is no good way apart from 3rd party monitors to measure the amount of data I have used in real time, and since Im on option 1 I like to keep an eye on this as Im using the internet. Restarting the hub resets the usage statistics, but I would only do this if it didnt make it seem like I have a faulty line. Which one causes problems, resetting the OR modem or the hub (or both??)

Finally, I never use my btinternet account other than for FON. Is my main account the only one I can use for this purpose, or can I create other accounts for this too, and if so how do I create additional accounts. I ask this because my son wants to be able to use FON when hes out but Im guessing that we cant both be using the same account logged in at two different places at the same time (or can we?)

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
DelSP10
Beginner
Message 2 of 20

Re: A few questions

ADSL filter not needed

HH3 does have log, of data  uploaded/downloaded

FON is wireless service, so once account details are placed on say a laptop connection, will work but at a slower speed.

0 Ratings
Infinitechris
Expert
Message 3 of 20

1) With FTTC which I think you are talking about you do not need to use filters as the engineer fits a new filtered face plate to the master socket.

2) Neither the hub or modem need routine reboots unless they are not working correctly. Resetting the hub on its own should just reset the PPPOE session not the DSLAM which runs the VDSL connection and will not alter speeds. However resetting the white modem too frequently can be seen by the DSLAMs Digital Line Management software as instability causing it to lower the IP Profile which should rise as the line stabilises. An occasional reboot is no problem when it is required. 

3) As far as I am aware multiple users can log onto BT Fon but you can only log on using the master account log on details see http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34224/c/1812,1821

0 Ratings
Steve101
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Hi.

"as far as I know, there is no good way apart from 3rd party monitors to measure the amount of data I have used in real time"

If you go to MyBT account page, where you check you bills and payments, track orders etc. Click on Services tab, click on 'Broadband' and then about half way down the page , under the title 'Manage your broadband services', There is a link 'View your broadband usage' which loads a usage monitor.

"Finally, I never use my btinternet account other than for FON. "

I'm fairly sure you can log on multiple times\devices at BT Fon\hotspots but, as above said, you can only use the primary accounts login details to do this. 

0 Ratings
johnabrahams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Thank you all for your replies. @Chris what I was asking was do I still need ADSL filters on my extension sockets if I want to plug a phone into them. @Steve I am aware of the usage monitor but that only updates once a day and since I'm on option 1 I like to keep more of real-time eye on my usage. Regarding FON, so if I'm simultaneously logged in at two places at once, does that accordingly use double the amount of minutes in the same time?

0 Ratings
Steve101
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Hi.

You don't need seperate ADSL filters for fibre broadband. I believe the filtering is done in the new face plate on the master socket. (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

That's a good question re: minutes. I am on option 2 , unlimited, so that never occurred to me. I'm not sure if you would use double minutes with two simultaneous connections. It would seem unfair if you did - but I suspect you probably would.

If I sat in a cafe with my laptop and my mobile both logged into a hotspot it would seem unreasonable to have to disconnect one of them to save using up the time. But using different hotspots simultaneously? I don't know.

0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Steve101, you are quite correct, the Infinity/VDSL faceplate isolates all of the extension wiring from the VDSL signal, so no filters are required on any socket.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
johnabrahams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Thank you all for your input and answering my questions. Not to undermine the answer I was given regarding resetting the hub, but just to double check, resetting just the hub has no effect on DLM but resetting the OR modem does?? Thanks again.

0 Ratings
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

@johnabrahams wrote:

Thank you all for your input and answering my questions. Not to undermine the answer I was given regarding resetting the hub, but just to double check, resetting just the hub has no effect on DLM but resetting the OR modem does?? Thanks again.

Correct 🙂
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
IndianaBlues
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Apologies for dredging up an old thread. Fibre has this month landed in my village, and I've just had the Openreach engineer installing their modem. I'm currently waiting for the new router to kick in (working off a 3g dongle for the time being) but have just had a thought about ADSL filters. I've removed the one from my phone, but there's another effectively hard-wired in behind a bookcase that's bolted securely to the wall, which is used by my Sky box. Will leaving it in place do any harm?

0 Ratings