Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithiee
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

A question for the money makers at bt

Dear BT

I live in weston village weston-s-mare, now when i found out BT infinity was coming to the worle exchange (over a two years ago) as a gamer i was so happy superfast broadband to game on and downloads, now as i watched your map and the checker with glee waiting for the time to arrive i was shocked to see the date had gone from when my phone line would be able to get infinity, it was dec 10 then march 11 then no date at all! very strange, so i called BT to ask why? and got told input your e-mail address and they will e-mail you when its ready! ok great, i then moved, only 3 roads away so no biggy, worle exchange ready for BT infinity still cant get it, weston-s-mare exchange will be ready by dec 12 (not that matters as im on worle) and i can guess this will still mean im unable to get infinity,so up to now Oct 12 still nothing,

Now to the point, im on a new build housing estate,my house was the last to be built one year ago in june 12, but the others are 6-7 years old, in all there is 3000 house's with another 1000 across the carrageway and more planned, there is NO cable in weston what so ever, so this means no competition from VIRGIN or anything...................

So please will someone tell me why 3000 potential customers are WITHOUT BT infinity?????

Now lets do the maths

50% of the homes sign up for infinity on my housing estate at the cheapest plan at £23 per month

THATS  £414000  A YEAR in your pocket! thats at the basic rate! if like me you get some at the £30 a month its even more and then that doesn't take into thought the homes that would move from SKY (remember no VIRGIN here) to BT TV

Now my maths are not that good but it seems to me that well over an extra 400K a year is a large chunk of money to lose????

I wait for an answer that is if your not like your infinity map and cant give me one! 

Regards

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: A question for the money makers at bt

Hi Infinity is a brand name for BT retails fibre product BT Retail your supplier is not responsible for the roll out of the fibre service , It is OPENREACH that are carrying out the rollout for all ISP's not just for BT there are many reasons for areas not being upgraded at this time as this link explains http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators posts made here do not go directly to BT

0 Ratings
smithiee
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

so BT Retail have no say what so ever where or who should get fiber optic broadband?i thought that the openreach vans had the BT logo on???? that would make openreach an independant company hired by anyone to do the jobs they say to do when and where without any control from BT? i think not!

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 10

thats correct thanks ofcom
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

@smithiee wrote:

THATS  £414000  A YEAR in your pocket! thats at the basic rate! if like me you get some at the £30 a month its even more and then that doesn't take into thought the homes that would move from SKY (remember no VIRGIN here) to BT TV

Now my maths are not that good but it seems to me that well over an extra 400K a year is a large chunk of money to lose????

So how do you think all the cabling infrastructure and all the exchange eqiupment gets paid for???

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

This link explains more Openreach operate independently under rules laid down by OFCOM to provide an equal service to all communication providers http://www.expect.openreach.co.uk/faqs/
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 10

Openreach are the company who are in charge, manage and control the rollout of Fibre broadband for all ISP/communication providers.

Even thought Openreach are part of the BTplc group that are separate to the rest of the BTplc group under Ofcom's orders to make sure that BT Retail and other BTplc companies don't get priority over other communication providers.

As it says in Openreach's faq:

"Openreach is part of BT Group but it operates as a separate line of business – serving the needs of all communications providers in a fair and even handed way."

BT Retail does not have any input or say in the rollout plans of fibre broadband.

BT Infinity is just the brandname/product offered by BT Retail (a communication provider) for Fibre broadband. 

Hope that helps explain it.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Worle Exchange is accepting orders, if the ISP you are trying to get fibre based broadband from is saying you can't it is more than likely the PCP that connects your line to the Exchange hasn't been enabled for FTTC.

If you live on a new build estate with 3000 other homes I highly doubt they will all feed off the same PCP, even the biggest of copper PCP's with Quante connections in would struggle to have enough space for 1300-1500 copper E and D sides blocks and there would certainly be no space for even 100 FTTC Ports in it.

If the PCP your line connects to was installed during the build process there may not have been enough live connections in there at the time to warrent the installation costs of a Remote DLSAM as there is no way Openreach could guarantee a return on it as contary to popular belief not everyone actually needs or wants superfast broadband or the SP/ISP the residents go with may not wholesale fibre based broadband, especially the LLU providers as they don't like the fact they can't put their LLU equipment in the PCP, where exactly they think it will go in the PCP is beyond me though?

Exactly how do you know 50% of the residents on the estate would rent BT Infinity, have you gone door to door?

Also your profit doesn't appear to include installation, maintenance and the operating costs, or did you think those people do it for free?

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

@Bullitt

'thats correct thanks ofcom'

You mean thanks BT Group plc?

OFCOM never made or even suggested the BT Group plc create Openreach and have them operate is an independent company. The BT Group were the ones who actually proposed the idea to OFCOM because they were sick to death of being so heavily regulated.

OFCOM were more than happy to allow the BT Group to do it because in their eyes it truely made BT Retail a Telecoms Provider with no unfair advantage by having control over the Phone Network.

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 10

@plainview
not quite
ofcom says - In June 2005, BT offered Ofcom a set of undertakings in lieu of Ofcom making a reference to the Competition Commission under the Enterprise Act 2002
0 Ratings