cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

A rant on my Dad's behalf.... And I feel foolish for recommending bt

Go to solution
Right, so I recommended infinity to the old man. He cancelled with talktalk and ordered bt infinity and phone. All good. Engineer comes to install and says 1) fault on line ( had been mentioned to talk talk several times and blamed on internal wiring) 2) no master socket (old school connection box) So fault logged and install rebooked. Fault corrected but no one came to install master socket as promised. Called up and booked master socket install same day as infinity install. Master socket done but infinity engineer no show! Called re: infinity install and told no appt in engineers diary! (load of croc.) And during all this time (2 weeks) no Internet access and bt won't activate adsl in meantime. Given £20 and told go and buy a usb wifi dongle from a mobile phone ship and put some credit on it. Really upset that this is being done to the old man. Feel Worse still that I recommended it. Anyway rant over. Any solutions / advice appreciated.
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: A rant on my Dad's behalf.... And I feel foolish for recommending bt

Go to solution

The infinity engineer would have upgraded the socket as part of the install anyway.

Also wouldnt get a wifi dongle, you would need a 3g dongle if you went down that route.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
3G dongle, my mistake... Infinity engineer insisted he could not / would not fit the master socket. Jobs worth if you ask me.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
a new master socket is part of the infinity install
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
Not according to this guy!
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Make a complaint against him. Although if there was a fault that needed fixing first, he wouldnt have any reason to replace the socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
i dont think this story is entirely correct or details are missing

who logged the fault?
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

To be fair, I know of a few people who have been on your Dad's previous provider and have had what are clearly line faults and that provider never send an engineer out (they don't want to pay anything to Openreach IMHO).

It sounds to me that the first engineer did his job in recognising that there was a problem on the line that needed to be fixed first before Infinity could be installed.  It's also good that the fault has been fixed and that the master socket has now been fitted.  The rest of the tale doesn't sound so great.  It's unfortunate that the Infinity engineer didn't turn up but I suppose the £20 to get a 3G dongle is reasonable compensation to ensure that your Dad can have some form of internet access while everything else gets sorted out.

In my view, you've had an unfortunate experience and the fact you felt compelled to recommend BT must mean that you know it isn't always like you've described here.  I hope everything gets sorted for you soon.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

The mod team dont like the thread turning into personal acrimony. Just a suggestion...............

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
What I think should have happened is: 1st guy logs fault but puts everything else in readiness for activating infinity, at the very least installed the master socket. Then once fault corrected come and finish the job. One week tops.
0 Ratings