Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

ADSL Connection Drop Every 15-21 Mins

Go to solution

Hi,
Please bear with me here, I'm having connection drops every 15-20 mins, and when it drops, it takes it 10 or more mins to come back up. When I say every 10-15 mins, I do mean EVERY 10-15 mins for the past 3 days, it started around 8am on the 6th.

Since It has been doing this since the 6th of March, yesterday, I contacted BT who after an hour of talking about wether or not my router was: 'switched on, flooor level or lower, if was in a lead lined box at the bottom of my pond, had I inadvertantly plugged it in to my eye socket, instead of the phone socket etc..... ' the agent concluded that basically Id have to buy a BT Hub, or that old chesnut "contact my hardware vendor etc... etc... blah blah blah!" before he could continue with diagnosis. (just to clarify, I am using a non BT Router(Bipac) and have been for many years now) Yes Im connected to the master socket behind the faceplate, yes I have tried a different router to prove current router is not on the blink, and a quietline test proved nothing more than every15mins or so, there'd be pops a whsitles on the line, allthough very faint. (And yes, I used a wired phone, and yes, my pc is connected via ethernet cable, as is my laptop, as a secondary hardware test, just incase was PC related.

Unfortunately, I know I have to face this inane questioning EVERY SINGLE TIME I have a phone fault, which is relatively often considering....., but the thing is, there was no broadband fault discoverd according to the checks, but when the connection dropped, whist I was on the phone to them, he said that the test was failing, and had to start again. Yet funnily enough, That's what the damn problem is!!!! Talk about a circular argument!!

Anyway, the point is, that I am fed from a cabinet that has recently had a lot of work done on it, as it has been setup to make FTTP available!! So, YAY on that front. But the cabinet according to the BT system check site, went live on the 6th of March, which is exactly when my problem started.

To add to the complications more, I now see that my router can connect to ADSL2 and ADSL2+, which before were never available. And also, my upload used to be the typical 448 up, but now thats changed, and is much higher.
I finally gave in and said there was noise on my phone too, which there is every 15mins or so, so I've finally got an engineer visit booked, but that's based on a phone fault, which although is real, hardly affects the call quality, so I'm gonna get a bill for the visit.

I am damn near certain this has to do with the FTTP becoming live at my cabinet, but that seems impossible to convey to BT, because its an offbook problem.

If anyone actually got what the hell I was just talking about, could you please help? Stats Below.

Router Stats 1.JPGRouter Stats 2.JPGRouter Stats 3.JPG

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: ADSL Connection Drop Every 15-21 Mins

Go to solution

Shortly after posting this, it happened again, so I rushed through to the phone, and did a quiet line test.

The result was interesting.

First there was a very faint sound like a toilet cistern filling after flush, this went on for about 6 mins, then there was a sound that was similar to old dialup noise which lasted about 20 seconds, then a short series of electronic clicks, then absoloute clarity, at which point I was back up and running again. Although whilst typing this, its dropped again, so I'll be copying and pasting this in a moment Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

FTTP does not run from the street cabinet unlike FTTC so it is not that causing a problem  the line noise will have a bad affect on your broadband very much as you describe so hopefully the engineer will solve noise problem and broadband will improve

did you try using the test socket rather than your eyesocket to see if that helped stability and internet connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

As said above, definitely connected to test socket, not eye 😉

I live in a rural area, I think it's fttc, then from there its fttp maybe??? although I don't know how that works, cos I live down a 500m dirt track, so unless they dig that up too, then the copper wires that travel down said dirt road on the poles which surely by that definition alone makes fttp impossible anyway, are my only way of getting BB. Dunno how they plan to provide superfast to me, but I'm thinking it's a long way off if it is coming🙁

I assumed it was cabinet related cos they were doing a lot of work on said cabinet, I stand corrected. 😁

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

FTTP on demand is not the same as FTTP although both have no connection to the street cabinet  FTTPoD costs are here 

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGguc...

FTTC is fibre to the street cabinet and then your current copper wire from the cabinet to your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

So what on earth are they talking about when they say this:?

"The cabinet that serves your premises is live, but your speeds aren't as fast as we'd like them to be. Your area has been reviewed and there is a plan to do further work to increase speeds via FTTP technology.

We follow a different design and build process for FTTP so you won't see updates at each stage. As soon as we have built the network and made services available, you will see an 'Accepting Orders' message."

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

that is the residential FTTP and that would require fibre to be run to your home but not from the street cabinet.  there is nothing more you can do but wait on openreach making FTTP available to you - which could take months

0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

I'm not sure my point is clear, I couldn't care less about FTTP or FTTC just now, I want a stable ADSL connection.

I only mentioned them, because I had considered the fact that with them opening the cabinet up, and doing loads of work, in and around it, that it may have been a factor in my messed up connection.

Just for the record, it's still ongoing too 😞   26 drops since 9am, I think its more, but my eyes start to hurt wading through router logs!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

if you are connected to test socket, there is no noise on quiet line test and there is no dial tone at any extension socket then you need engineer visit as you have done all you can  see if mods can help you get engineer   mods will post help here

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @Gremlin10 sorry that your connection is dropping. 

We will be happy to help you get this fixed if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings