cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 47

ADSL Connection Problem - No ADSL 2/2+ connection

Go to solution

I seem to be having a curious problem with my connection, in the sense that my neighbour in a block of flats receives 20Mbps broadband, however the best i can get is 7Mbps.

i know through various experiments that i am not able to connect via ADSL2 or 2+ because i have been using my own modem/router rather then the home hub 3 i was originally given.  with said modem you can set connection types and i can only get a connection when i select ADSL rather than 2/2+

i have tried using the homehub 3 and it too doesnt give me anything better speed wise, therefore i have to conclude there is a fault causing this whether it is with the wiring or the configuration of the line.

Is there anything anyoen can suggest i do in order to ensure i get the maximum speed available?

I have checked the BT Wholesale site which confirms the existence of ADSL 2/2+ on my exchange which is reinforced by the fact my neighbour can achieve these higher speeds.  She has said that she had her socket replaced about 8 months ago, therefore is it likely that the socket or woring could be the cause?

I have arranged for an engineer to visit but if this is caused by something i can fix i would rather do that than be charged for an engineer coming and determing the problem is my fault.

in the interests of clarity, i have tried removing the face plate and using the test socket (even though there are no extenisons), i have tried with no other devices connection other than a laptop hardwired to the modem and home hub to no avail.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
46 REPLIES 46
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 47

Re: ADSL Connection Problem - No ADSL 2/2+ connection

Go to solution

enter your phone numbe and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

post the adsl stats from your router

I would cancel the engineer as he will not be able to get you moved to adsl2 - mods may be able to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 47

Go to solution
an engineer visit is a waste of time and money as it will solve nothing
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 47

Go to solution

Results from Wholesale below, as i say ADSL2 is clearly available on my exchange as i had already checked this page.  You have asked for stats from the router, what are you specifically looking for? signal levels or connection settings such as PPPoA etc...?

BT Results.jpg

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 47

Go to solution

Why do you say that? surely if there is an issue with the wiring or the line it would require an engineer, either to my home or to the exchange surely?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 47

Go to solution

Connection time, speed, noise margin, modulation, attenuation and errors

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 47

Go to solution

If what you are trying to achieve is adsl2 then engineer won't help as that is an upgrade not just a change engineer can do

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 47

Go to solution

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 19.19.38.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 47

Go to solution

Stats look good  just adslmax. 

Mods will ill post a contact us link and see if they can get you upgraded to adsl2. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 47

Go to solution

Sorry, I thought i made that clearer in my post that i was already on the appropriate package as confirmed by CS when i called, i cannot be upgraded because i am already on the ADSL2 package (i.e upto 20MBps).  

I would have thought the issue either has to be one of my set up, or something physical with the line and/or modem. However, as i get the same results with the Homehub or my own modem, the issue would have to between the modem and BT, even if that means that there is something they physically need to enable in order to achieve an ADSL2 connection, unfortunate the guy i spoke to at CS didnt quite seem to grasp what i was trying to tell him (could well be a language barrier issue as i assume it was an offshore call centre)

0 Ratings