cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
husk1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

ADSL Faceplate & Internal Wiring

Hi, can someone confirm if this will work or not?

I have 2 pair CW1308 cable running from the master socket with the second extension socket in the living room, where the router is.

I want to fit an ADSL faceplate, remove the bell wire and use the spare 4th wire and connect them both to terminals A and B, leaving terminals 2 and 5 connected as usual for the telephone.

I would then bypass the first extension and terminate A and B on terminals 2 and 5 on the socket in the living room.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: ADSL Faceplate & Internal Wiring

that if I understand you will create star wiring and is more likely to cause a problem with your connection than help it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
husk1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I don't know what star wiring is, sorry.

I want to replicate what is going on in this video, but terminating in a standard extension faceplate.

https://youtu.be/oGDAAcpqm9Y

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

where are you fitting the filtered faceplate - to the master socket?  Are you going to use a MK3 openreach socket?

if you connect a second socket to terminals A&B so even if you use the test socket on master then second socket remains live then you have created star wiring which is normal detrimental to your broadband connection 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
husk1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Still not quite following you sorry,

The plan was to connect the filtering ADSL faceplate to the master socket and leave it completely unused, then send the unfiltered broadband to one socket in the lounge via A & B (no voice connection) and leave the other extension sockets purely for voice.

So you're saying that would create interference..

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

By connecting to terminals A&B on the master and running a cable to a new socket you are creating star wiring. The correct wiring is when you use the test socket and all other sockets are 'dead' but in your scenario the extension socket would still be live

0 Ratings
husk1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

There seems to be a difference between the MK3 faceplate and the one I'm thinking of using.

The MK3 has the A & B terminals on the main socket and therefore looks like it can't be cut off when the extensions are plugged in:

The one I'm looking at has the A & B inline with the other terminals so I don't think both sockets could be live I used that..

What do you reckon?

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

The terminals you have circled on the MK3 will give you an unfiltered socket just the same as terminal A&B on the filtered socket you are thinking of using

but I cannot see what you are going to achieve by doing that. It would be easier just connecting a modem cable rj11 to the filtered socket and gunning to where you intend to sit the router

0 Ratings
husk1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Well it would use the existing hidden cable, I've got nowhere to hide cable from the master socket.

I really just wanted to replicate the work in the video because I thought it was a tidy solution.

Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings