cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

ADSL Model disconnects almost every time the phone rings

My ADSL modem disconncects almost every time an incoming voice call is received. It will reconnect during the voice call, however.

I have reduced everything in my setup to just the test socket, a new wired handset and modem/router with an Ethernet connection to a single PC.  No WiFi and no DECT phones.

I have swapped out my (almost new) TP-Link modem/router for a new HomeHub 4 with no change to the disconnects.

My phone service is with BT and my ISP is Plusnet. Plusnet have raise the SNR margin but this has not changed the dicsonnects (but did have a big impact on broadband speed). 

Plusnet are saying that ther is a clear fault with the voice service. BT are syaing that their testing of the line shows there are no faults and the problem must lie with Plusnet. I am in a complete stalemate now.

Anyone had any experience of how to unblock two companies pointing fingers at each other like this?

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: ADSL Model disconnects almost every time the phone rings

so you  pay BT for your phone line and plusnet for you broadband - ie you don't pay your line rental to plusnet as part of your package?

you have a high resistance fault which you need to report  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi - thanks for responding

It's a weird historical setup. Line rental and voice calls are from BT. Broadband service is from Plusnet.

BT continually ignore any references to HR faults stating repeatedly that the line has been tested OK.

I'll take a look at the link ....

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Quiet line test is not quiet at all. Lots of gentle fizzing.

How come the comprehensive line test run by BT cannot detect this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

You just have to report a phone fault to 151 and get engineer visit. Until phone line fixed your broadband won't improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Engineer booked!

Will report back ...

0 Ratings