cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GiveMeFive
Contributor
Message 1 of 51

ADSL Router Slow and Restarts

Quite a lengthy post so apologies to those who like things short and sweet and thank you to anyone who takes the time to digest and respond to my query.

I've been with BT for over 10 years at my current address using ADSL2 and achieving a download speed of up to 14Mbps and upload less than 1Mbps.

As a family with children our internet usage and number of devices connected has grown considerably over this time. We were increasingly suffering poor wifi connections and manual Hub restarts that used to be required a few to several times a year then became a monthly occurrence, then weekly and eventually daily and sometimes more than daily.  A manual Hub restart would always get things back to normal.

I upgraded from a Hub3 to Hub5 a few weeks ago and after completing the initial configuration and setup we found we had a far more reliable service. Where before we had the XBox regularly dropping out mid gaming, we have since had just one or two poor wifi warning appear on screen for just a couple of seconds but not enough to drop us out of the game as regularly happened with the Hub3.

On Friday 17th June I was working from home and had several instances of poor connectivity with dropped calls using Skype for Business over Citrix connectivity to my work machine. I noticed the Hub was frequently restarting throughout the day.  My wife informed me that evening that the internet had also been unreliable the previous day.  We didn't use the internet much over the weekend but last night (Sunday 19th June) I attempted to download a large game to the XBox and after several hours of slow increases in % complete I ran some speed tests and found I was getting variable download speeds of circa 3.5 Mbps or less.

I opened a Broadband fault online via BT.com yesterday evening but based on previous experience of raising faults I have little hope that anyone from BT will actually respond to the fault or take any timely action to acknowledge or resolve the issue. I'm dreading needing to speak with the script readers in the BT India call centre.

I followed the BT advice that a Hub restart is one of the quickest and easiest way to fix a slow speed issue and my Hub has gone through numerous re-starts BUT I see on these community pages that this can actually have a detrimental effect.  When I restart my Hub I do see the speed directly after at somewhere in the region 12 to 15 Mpbs but it then degrades.  I've bene running remote speed tests this morning using the BT App and was seeing a stated download speed of 7.5 Mbps but more recently the speed check is failing.  No one is at home to check the colour on the front of the router.

The telephone wiring in my home is probably about 20 years old. I have two sockets both with a split facia and internal test socket.  The router is plugged into one socket, which has a built in micro-filter (installed by a BT engineer about seven years ago) and the telephone is plugged into the other socket with an external in-line micro-filter.  I'm not sure which socket is the master.  I seem to recollect the engineer might have reversed the sockets to make the one the Hub is plugged into the master where previously it had been the other socket – is that possible?

I have not done any tests as yet with removing faceplates and jacking into master test sockets as I've gone through this previously and had issues with wires coming loose inside the sockets.

A BT Service Check tells me there are no area faults.

Having scoured these community pages I intend to look at a number of things this evening when I get home and would welcome any guidance and answers to my points below.

1. Quiet Line Test (17070) – does it matter which of the two sockets I run this test from? Should I run it from the front socket and/or from the engineer's test socket inside?
  2. Micro-Filter – is it worth trying either of the following or would these not make any difference: (A) change the external micro-filter on the socket I'm using with my telephone? Or (B) unplug the micro-filter and telephone entirely and just leave the Hub connected to the other socket?
  3. Hub5 Router Stats – I expect this will become apparent when I view the Troubleshooting-Logs but will this detail a lengthy historical log going back over the past week or so when the problem first appeared to manifest itself, or will the log simply go back to the last Hub restart? How much of the log should I upload to this forum?
  4. PowerLan adapters – I have an ancient desktop PC without wifi and I use PowerLan adapters between the Hub and the PC. The adapter at the hub end is plugged in the same (pair of) electrical wall sockets as the Hub is powered from. This has been fine and without issue (I think) but I might try disconnecting this for the time being to see if this makes any difference as a possible cause of interference and noise. Or would this be unlikely?

We had an issue several weeks ago with any animal interfering with the wiring outside the house. We're not sure if it was a cat or fox but we found the wiring had been played with and had signs of teeth marks in it although it didn't appear to be through the external sheath of the wiring.  I pinned the cable to the wall with cable tacks and it's been fine since then.  I checked this external wiring since this problem has started last week and it doesn't appear to have been "played with" again.

I would like to resolve the issue is the most effective and expedite way and seeking advice and recommendations from this forum please as to the best sequence of steps to take.

I'm reluctant to call out an engineer and pick up an invoice for £130 if the problem can't be fixed. I've read mixed messages in these reviews about whether customers are charged if the engineer is unable to find the fault? 

I'd also like to know that someone from BT has checked the service in the exchange, cabinet in the road etc. I've raised faults previously and days later no update has been provided and I'm expecting this latest fault may suffer the same lack of attention.

Thanks for your help.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number NNNNNNNNNNN on Exchange BECKENHAM is served by Cabinet 7

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean)8071.52020--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)77.143.62011.4--Available----
FTTP on Demand33030--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 14--12.5 to 16Available----
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 14Up to 112.5 to 16Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available----
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available----
Fixed Rate2 ----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----
0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
GiveMeFive
Contributor
Message 2 of 51

Re: ADSL Router Slow and Restarts

Just went onto BT chat to follow up on my query and chatted with Vijay who told me he completed a line test confirming that there is no fault on the network.

He has asked me to run a speed test using http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ when I'm at home and then restore the Hub to factory settings
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 3 of 51

Thanks for the update @GiveMeFive.

Can you post the results of the speed test, including the further diagnostics, and we'll check them for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
GiveMeFive
Contributor
Message 4 of 51

Thanks David, will respond further with the info this evening. Do you advocate the Hub reset to factory settings?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 51

I would not do a factory reset at present but I would suggest you find which socket is master and try conenction to test socket with a filter before you post your stats  the fewer resets the better 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
GiveMeFive
Contributor
Message 6 of 51

HI David / imjolly,

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay in replying with further information.  I think I've found the issue.

I did a quiet line test on each of the two wall sockets with the telephone plugged into the front plate and then the engineer's test socket inside.  I heard crackles, clicks and wind-like noise using the socket in my Living room when plugged into both the front plate and the engineer's socket.  When I moved the phone to the utility room to the same socket as the braodband router there was near total silence in the engineer's test socket and a slight hiss from the front plate.  I believe this is the master socket.

Moving the telephone to this (master) socket seems to have addressed the issue as I ran a series of BT wholesale speed tests afterwards with the following results:

Download (Mbps)   14.52   14.60   15.15   14.51   15.58   15.89   12.89  10.71  11.98  12.63  14.18

Upload (Mbps)         0.71     0.73     0.72     0.72    0.73     0.73    0.72    0.68    0.72   0.71    0.73

Ping (ms)              43.75   40.00      245   40.00   33.75   36.25    0.00   31.25  33.75  27.50  37.50 

I didn't run the equivalent BT wholesale speed tests whilst directly wired into the router before moving the telephone but I did run speedtest and BT app test my speed numerous times from my iPhone and I was seeing a download of circa 7.5 Mbps beforehand and after the telephone move I am seeing in excess of 15 Mpbs with both speed test apps.

Looking at the Hub stats (I hope this is what you need):

19:50:07, 20 Jun. ( 738.700000) PPPoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI: 38 Down Rate=18494Kbps, Up Rate=888Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.3dB, Up=11.7dB
19:50:01, 20 Jun. ( 732.700000) ETHoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI: 35 Down Rate=18494Kbps, Up Rate=888Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.2dB, Up=11.7dB

19:40:51, 20 Jun. ( 197.920000) PPPoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI: 38 Down Rate=17245Kbps, Up Rate=888Kbps; SNR Margin Down=8.2dB, Up=8.7dB
19:40:45, 20 Jun. ( 191.450000) ETHoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI: 35 Down Rate=17245Kbps, Up Rate=888Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.3dB, Up=8.7dB

13:42:38, 20 Jun. (15552.620000) PPPoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI: 38 Down Rate=9355Kbps, Up Rate=547Kbps; SNR Margin Down=8.9dB, Up=7.4dB
13:42:31, 20 Jun. (15546.000000) ETHoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI: 35 Down Rate=9355Kbps, Up Rate=547Kbps; SNR Margin Down=8.8dB, Up=7.4dB

13:04:07, 20 Jun. (13241.260000) PPPoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI: 38 Down Rate=18435Kbps, Up Rate=888Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.2dB, Up=11.2dB
13:04:00, 20 Jun. (13234.640000) ETHoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI: 35 Down Rate=18435Kbps, Up Rate=888Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=11.2dB

We used the XBox online last night without issue and watched TV on demand with just one moment of buffering, at which point I ran a quick speed test on my iphone and saw the ping was high and the download had dropped to circa 1 Mbps but it then wavered up to around 7.5 Mbps and went back to 12.5 to 14.5 Mbps all in a few seconds.

Fingers crossed things seem OK for now but I will monitor how things go over the coming days.  I'm not sure if I should get someone to look at the wiring in the Living room socket or just write it off and forget about it if things seem OK using the other socket in the utility room.  I remember a previous BT engineer telling me that the wiring in the house had been done a non standard way and I think he switched the master socket from the living room to our utility room BUT we have lost internet connectivity since when the wiring to the Living room socket was disrupted so it's obviously not a straight forward master socket with extensions type setup.

Any thoughts welcomed as to whether the (now) unused socket in the Living room is likley to have any impact or is it a case of wait and see?

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 51

if you use the test socket in the uyility room can you get a dial tone from other socket faceplate?  test socket?

are there any wires connected to back of the detachable front plate of socket in livingroom?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
GiveMeFive
Contributor
Message 8 of 51

Hi, I will check the availability of a dial tone through the various options you ask.

Off the cuff I believe that when I take the face plate off the Living room socket I lose connectivity in the utility room but not completely sure. I don't know if the living room is affected if I remove the front plate in the utility room.

There are no wires connected to the faceplate in the utility.

There are two wires connected to the face plate in the living room and I see spare wires loose not connected.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 51

that would suggest the livingroom socket is the master and the wires conencted to back of frontplate are feeding the untility room socket

0 Ratings
GiveMeFive
Contributor
Message 10 of 51

I only had limited time to devote to this last night so didn't do all the tests you suggest yet. But can confirm that when I remove the face plate from the socket in the Living room I lose broadband and telephone connectivity at the socket in the utility room,

I didn't try connecting the hub and telephone via the test point inside the socket in the utility nor did I get time to move the hub and phone to the living room and remove the faceplate in the study.

Not sure if it's relevant but the socket in the utility is split horizontally with two separate ports with broadband in the top and telephone in the bottom. It has a built in microfilter. The living room socket has a single telephone socket in the bottom half and requires an external micro filter.

Clearly the utility socket is wired via the living room socket implying the living room is master. I'm puzzled why I seem to be OK using the utility socket and the living room gives me problems.

We did have an issue in May with an animal disrupting the wire outside the living room - chew marks on cable and cabled pulled and this is affect the wiring inside the socket which I myself tried and thought I had fixed. It had been ok for 3 weeks anyway.

There are only two wires connected to the back of the front plate in the living room (the orange ones) so I expect these are the pair effectively being used by the utility room socket. Is it possible the living room itself effectively uses different wires?
0 Ratings