Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
confusedgirl100
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

ADSL and Phone use

Hi,

I don't have a home hub but I was wondering if I can ask a generic question.

I've recently been having issues with my belkin router - frequent disconnections and broadband disconnecting when phone is being used, which hadn't happened before and was wondering if the fault lies with the router. I tried the quiet line test where there was some noise and I think everything was fine until I reconnected my router, after which there was a whistling and slight crackling sound during the quiet line test. 

I have replaced all the extension wiring and adsl filters and the disconnections are still occurring and if I use the phone, the router will disconnect and reconnect. The speed has also been dropping a bit lately too.

I've also been checking the service status in my area and there have been no faults reported over the past few days.

Therefore, I was wondering if these issues can occur when the router is failing/faulty and thus I will probably need to think about getting a new one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

C

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: ADSL and Phone use

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

Where is your router plugged in?

0 Ratings
confusedgirl100
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

I am a BT broadband customer and my master socket matches the first photo. 

I've had the Belkin router for a few years and there have been no issues until recently - issues started on Sunday. 

I noticed that the router was disconnecting and reconnecting every half hour, therefore checked if there were any issues with the service and there were no faults reported in my area.

I then did the quiet line test and noticed that there was faint whistling noise and crackling on the phone line, therefore I disconnected everything and reconnected each item (extension cables, filters, etc) one at a time, and did the quiet line test after each reconnection to see where the fault was. 

When I reconnected the extension cables, filters, the quiet line test was fine (all quiet), until I reconnected the router. When I did this, the noise (whistling and crackling) could be heard during the quiet line test, therefore I am assuming that the router is failing/faulty and will need replacing.

I haven't changed any of the settings or set up, and the quiet line test was fine up until the reconnection of the router.

I also tried replacing all the extension cables and filters and also noticed that every time I did the quiet line test or used my landline phone, the router would reboot which I presume shouldn't be happening, and this still happened when I replaced the filters.

Therefore, just wanted to check that it is probably the router that needs replacing?

Thanks

C

PS - Sorry for the long reply.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Please can you connect things up as shown below, but using your own router. See if the noise is present on the phone.

Also ensure that when the bottom section is remove, all extension sockets stop working, as they should be connected to the section you have just removed.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
confusedgirl100
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hi Keith,

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried your suggestion and there was noise on the line and then the noise appeared to disappear for a few days and then seems to have reappeared at the end of last week.

i contacted BT to report a fault and am waiting for a reply, however I am still awaiting a call from BT with an update regarding a fault. 

They advised that the fault would be sent to their engineers which I assume will be checking their servers/exchange and not at my house as they have not asked when I will be in.

I was wondering what the turnaround time for investigating faults is usually as I was advised that I would be provided with an update today?

Thanks

Elaine.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

If you reported it as a phone fault, then its normally fixed by the end of the third working day. If you reported it as a broadband fault, then it can take much longer as they run through lots of tests which often do not show a fault.

Its most likely a poor connection somewhere on the external network.

0 Ratings
confusedgirl100
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

The broadband technical team have contacted me to advise that they have resolved the issue at their end although they did not advise what the issue was. I advised that the connection appeared to be ok but the speed was/is low which I assume is due to all the disconnections.

The tech team refreshed the line this morning and asked me to monitor the connection over the next few days to see how it goes.

At the moment the downstream speed seems to be fixed at about 1144kps and the upstream speed is 907kps. The noise margins are 16/17db for downstream and about 6/7db for upstream and was wondering if these stats will improve if the connection is left and is stable over the next few days ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Elaine.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

It should improve if you leave thing alone.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

for an explanation.

0 Ratings