Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff11
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

ADSL manual selection of Fastpath for gaming

Go to solution

Hi,

I recently had BT 'superfast broadband' fttc broadband.  The connection was great for everything other than gaming.

I had openreach out on numerous occasions who kept resetting the line to the fast profile, however the dlm always triggered due to error accululation and ultimately reverted back to having interleaving applied and my base ping always doubled if not worse, but only on the downstream line, not upstream.  This made first person twitch shooters almost unnplayable, not just because of a high ping due to interleaving processing your bullets over multiple packets, but also because the lag compensation the gaming servers applied was always innacurate due to the outgoing ping being different to the incoming ping time.

I changed to a managed business internet provider who had more clout than me to fault find and have things resolved, they also tried their best but after many openreach visits, checks, and even have the line chenged to the other two cores in the wire, the same issue always recurs...i.e. interleaving was applied on the downstream.

In summary, I was wondering if procuring old school ADSL on one line specifically for gaming would allow me to 'manually' set a fast profile which could not be overridden by the dlm, whilst on the other line I could procure normal fttc broadband for higher bandwidths which I could use for general purposes as well as switching to when I need to download large game files etc?

Any advice appreciated 🙂

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: ADSL manual selection of Fastpath for gaming

Go to solution

You cannot manually control whether interleaving is applied on ADSL, however one of the moderators can request a change, but only on ADSL.

0 Ratings
Geoff11
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

That was a quick reply, much appreciated.

So, there is literally no way to ensure a fast profile on the line / no way to override the dlm etc?

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@Geoff11 wrote:

That was a quick reply, much appreciated.

So, there is literally no way to ensure a fast profile on the line / no way to override the dlm etc?

Thank you in advance.

That is correct, however if you have a good error free line, it should stay on fastpath.  You should not really have too many issues with your VDSL connection, unless there are errors on the line.

Other users of your connection will impact on the response time, bu I am sure you are aware of that.

This is general advice, as you say you are not using a BT Retail connection.

0 Ratings
Geoff11
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you for clarify that.

So. if my bt fttc line had errors causing interleaving, is it safe to assume that the same line used for adsl would also have errors therefore cuasing interleaving to be applied?

I don't want to cancel my current provider, order bt adsl, only to find that the line still attracts errors like it did on bt fttc, and then be stuck in a 12 / 18 month bt adsl contract with interleaving applied.

Hope that makes sense.

Is there any way to test the line for the liklihood of adsl errors prior to ordering by adsl?

Again, thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You are talking about two different systems. ADSL has a much narrower frequency band, so would not be so susceptible to higher frequency noise compared to VDSL which uses a much larger bandwidth.

It all depends on the line quality, so there is no accurate way of telling.

0 Ratings
Geoff11
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

OK, thank you.

I might just have to try a 12 month bt adsl gaming experiment and see what happens.

Actually, last query...if I do go ahead and order bt adsl, can I come to this forum and request / hope that a mod can adjust the line profile etc, as opposed to jumping through the unproductive cyclical mayhem that is 'telephoning bt customer support'?

Over and out 🙂

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Yes, of course you can, the moderators do have the ability to request a change, if it is needed. You need to be aware that if you are a long distance from the exchange, then the speed is going to be poor, and the likelyhood of errors will increase.

Also be aware, if you are a business user, then this forum would not be able to help,

0 Ratings