Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

ADSL speed on new Infinity 2 installation

Go to solution

Hello all,

I've just switched from BE broadband (where I've been a customer since 2007) to BT Infinity 2. I was very happy with BE's service but their fibre rollout was delayed for another year so decided to switch to Infinity 2 (FTTC).

30 meters from the street cabinet so my expected speed was 80mbps/20mbps.

Engineer's just left but I'm only getting 16mbps/1mbps (slightly slower than my old ADSL2 connection).

He swapped out the home hub (v3), the Openreach modem (HG612), carried out several "woosh" tests and line tests (results delivered to his phone by SMS) which all showed 80mbps/20mbps, plugged in his own laptop (same results) and finally plugged in his tester (let me take a screenshot on my phone) in VDSL emulator mode which showed:

VDSL2 17a VTU-R

Actual rate: 20000K 80000K
Max Rate: 41575K 109854K
Capacity: 48.1% 72.8%
Noise Margin: 23.4dB 14.8dB
Line Atten: 10.4dB 8.6dB
Signal Atten: 11.5dB 8.5dB

Once he'd left I even swapped out the BT kit with a brand new Draytek Vigor 2750n which shows

Actual Data Rate: 19999Kb/s 79984Kb/s
Attainable Rate: 34570Kbps 112203Kbps

but all speed tests still show a speed I'd expect on ADSL2 (BT Broadband rather than BT Infinity 2).

The BT helpdesk can't do anything until the engineer hands the job back tomorrow (typical "computer says no" response).

If Openreach have confirmed I have a cabinet-to-modem speed of 80mbps/20mbps then maybe BT have inadvertently assigned me an ADSL profile within their network?

Is anyone here having the same problems?

Many thanks! Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: ADSL speed on new Infinity 2 installation

Go to solution
Sorry to hear that.

Wired or Wireless?

How many devices have you tested on?

Run a test at speedtest.btwholesale.com and report your IP profile (it's the second "further diagnostics" test that you need to run. However you might find it won't let you run this test until tomorrow when all the systems have updated.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Webby,

Thank you for the quick response.

All testing was carried out using wired devices. 3 PCs and the engineer's own laptop (same slow speed regardless of the device).

If PC configuration issues, BT home hub and the Huawei VDSL modem have been ruled out and there's a confirmed cabinet-to-modem speed of 80/20mbps (according to the Openreach engineer's external and internal tests) then, as the engineer said, it only leaves my ISP (BT).

I've just carried out the initial speed test on speedtest.btwholesale.com (with the following results)

Download Speed (Mbps): 16.09
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.98
Ping Latency (ms): 39.38

but as suspected can't carry out the further diagnostics (will try again tomorrow).

A little frustrating as it certainly points to an upstream configuration issue.

Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

For me (also just moved from BE and with some Infinity issues) I get quicker easier results from the BT retail tester, http://speedtester.bt.com/  That gives me the ip profile on the first test, along with the speedtest results.

(My issues are different with excellent upstream and only 3.5Mb down, but the test should tell the profile.  I have found the speedtest itself is pessimistic especially on upstream, givin me around 9Mb when I can get 17Mb with real data to a real site SquirrelSave)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Have you tried resetting the hub?

Have you tried downloading multiple files at the same time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Here are my speedtest results.

@Deathtrap3000 Not only did the engineer reset both the hub and modem several times but he also swapped them out for replacements (eliminate a hardware glitch). Bottom line is, his VDSL tester confirmed an 80/20mbps line sync (less than 30 meters from the street cabinet). BT are limiting my bandwidth and, as the Openreach engineer said, only they can fix it.

@sjtp I'm hoping BT will resolve the issue quickly otherwise I'm going back to BE (cheaper and faster than my current crippled connection).

Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

And here's the screenshot from the engineer's tester Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Despite having covered the problems in detail yesterday, I'm put through to a call centre in India who insist on sticking to a script. After numerous pointless questions I'm eventually passed to a call centre in the UK.

Call centre in the UK (non technical) say I have to wait 10 days before I can cancel my order but say they'll pass me through to the technical department who can help. Yay!

No. The call is answered by the same call centre in India who claim there is no technical team in the UK (laughable) and start at the top of the script....

All I want to do is speak to an engineer to resolve an straightforward issue and BT would have a happy customer (I'm a Cisco engineer so find this incredibly frustrating).

Absolutely shocking customer service from BT Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

It seems that the mods are your best next stage.  I haven't tried this myself yet.  Copied from elsewhere ...

If you fill in this form: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 with a link back to your post for ref, the mods will get back to you. It can take up to 3 days ( sometimes longer in busy periods), and they will contact you direct via phone or email.

It won't help directly, and you may know this as a network engineer, but the most useful clarification I have seen of the way things work with the various limits set at various places is on the PlusNet forum: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101995.0.html

Short extract:

- The speed your Openreach modem connects to the Fibre cabinet.
- The line profile set on the RDSLAM which is the system in the cabinet that your modem connects with.
- The speed profile on the BT network sometimes referred to as the IP profile or the bRAS profile.
- The speed profile configured on our network layer sometimes referred to as the Plusnet profile.

It then goes on to discuss who/how each of these can be controlled, and the catch22 of whether you should or shouldn't reset your modem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks sjtp.  

I reported the fault via twitter (@BTCare) and got a quick response followed by a call from an engineer on Friday. He said there appeared to be a fault on my line which he would investigate and call back Sunday.

Unfortunately they seem to have accidentally disconnected my voice line during this. I reported a fault and line was restored the following day.

No call on Sunday but I received a call from the call centre folks today. The guy tried to help but eventually came to the conclusion that another engineer needed to investigate and I’d hear back within 48 hours. Sigh....

Despite having a great IP profile, my connection speeds (especially upload) are still firmly fixed within the ADSL range.

My 10 days are up Sunday so guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens then.

0 Ratings