cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

ADSL2 Questions

Go to solution

My exchange is now showing it has been upgraded to 21CN and BT have emailed me to say they will be making network upgrades this week.

I currently use a Netgear DG834GT modem/router connected to an Apple Time Capsule which is also a wired/wireless router. I run two wireless networks. Most of my equipment runs on wireless "N" through the Time Capsule. I also use an Airport Express to extend the "N" coverage to a part of the house. Any wireless "g" equipment runs through the Netgear. I have BT Vision conected via ethernet cable to the Netgear. I never lose a wireless connection (unless out of range)  and my BB connection is rock solid and stays on 24/7. I have not used the download function of Vision but may use it for the BBC iPlayer if it becomes available.

This is yesterdays speed test:

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed

5926 Kbps

0 Kbps
7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5926 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

2. Assured Rate Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed

654 Kbps

0 Kbps
600 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 654 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 600 Kbps

The questions:

1. Is the Home Hub 2 an ADSL 2 router?

2. Currently, apart from the Vision Box, all my other equipment runs wirelessly. With this configuration will there be any point using an ADSL 2 router and if so what will the benefits be?

Thanks in advance for any input.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: ADSL2 Questions

Go to solution
You claim a rock solid connection, yet with a sync of 8128 I would have expected to see an IP profile of 7150 rather than the 6500 indicated by the speedtest. If you could post line stats from your router including Attenuation figures we could estimate what speeds you could be likely to acheive on 21CN. To your questions:- 1 yes it is. 2 it is likely you could get higher speeds on ADSL2+ so you would need an ADSL2+ modem/router to take advantage of them. Finally for now the HH2 is also wireless N enabled.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your response Titanic.

By "rock solid" I mean that I never lose a connection although obviously connection/download speeds does vary depending on the time of day.

I'm not at home at the moment so will post the router stats later. I have been trying to understand the wireless speeds possible related to actual speed at the router and find it a litttle confusing. The main point I would like to cover is the relationship, if any, between the incoming speed at the modem/router and the output wireless speed on my "N" network i.e. whether in my particular set up moving to ADSL 2 would improve what I get on my wireless network.

Hope this makes sense.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Current system stats 
System Up Time 129:46:32
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA61388276808502581537129:45:05
LAN10M/100M73217775976201444473129:46:27
WLAN54M25523970706033616129:46:22

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed8128 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation24.0 db13.5 db
Noise Margin5.6 db21.0 db
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

with your stable connection and an attenuation of 24 switching to adsl2+ is a 'no brainer'

8mb adslmax  switch to adsl2+ get 18mbSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply imjolly.

Does this mean just switching routers (I have my unused BT supplied HH2 still in the box) or would I have to request an upgrade from BT.

As I stated earlier the only current wired connections I have are the  Vision box and Apple Time Capsule. Would upgrading to ADSL 2 make any speed difference to all my wireless network.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
The actual wireless speed won't increase it's still 802.11 N at 130Mbps. But with an expected doubling of DSL speed the througput will obviously increase. You will have to contact your ISP to request an upgrade to ADSL2+ which might involve re-contracting, or wait to see if they intend to migrate you to the service automatically, but this may take some months to progress through as it requires moving your connection in the exchange onto new equipment with small batches of around 60 circuits per day.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

you should still be able to use your netgear when switching to adsl2 - unless you want to change to the HH

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks to both of you for the information it's been a great help. I will continue with my Netgear if I can as it has been totally reliable for a few years now.

0 Ratings