cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matstrachan
Message 1 of 4

ADSL2+ Upgrade in Berwick upon Tweed area severely affecting download speed?

Hello

For the last week and a half my broadband connection, which was always around 2.5 meg has dropped to 0.15 to 0.20. The BT Wholesale ADSL checker says that my area (Berwick upon Tweed exchange) is scheduled to be upgraded to ADSL2+ by 31st of May - I was wondering if this massive drop in speed is normal just prior to the upgrade?

My router (Belkin Wireless N) says that I'm synching at 4megs but speedtester.bt.com reports the following:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.23 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4.22 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.5 Mbps

Router stats are:

ADSL 
   TypeInterleave Path
   StatusSHOWTIME
   DownstreamUpstream
   Data rate(Kbps)4224448
   Noise Margin920
   Output power(dBm)019
   Attenuation(dB)3925

I've read about the bell wire affecting download speeds, but I can't check as I have the old style BT socket which doesn't allow me to fiddle with the insides! Plus, the speed was fine for the last year since I moved to this house, until only recently.

Any help / advice appreciated!

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: ADSL2+ Upgrade in Berwick upon Tweed area severely affecting download speed?

teh upgrade to 21CN should not affect your connection and although your exchange is scheduled for 31/5/2012 it may be delayed like many others.  even if it shows as upgraded it can be weeks/months afterwards before BT send you an email about the upgrade.

from btspeedtester results your profile is ok but your download speed is very low.  can you try btspeedtester again later and tomorrow at an off peak time and post results please.

you can open your socket and remove the bellwire on terminal 3 but just don't touch the wires on terminals 2 & 5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
matstrachan
Message 3 of 4

Re: ADSL2+ Upgrade in Berwick upon Tweed area severely affecting download speed?

Thanks imjolly

You're right, the BT ADSL checker is now reporting that my exchange will be upgraded end-June (and I suppose will keep rolling forward monthly until it is actually upgraded!) Speed is still poor, to the extent that the BT speedtest comes up with a test error this evening.

I'll try again over the weekend and post results when I can.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

just keep us posted
0 Ratings