Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tractorman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 48

ADSL2+ Upgrade of Audlem Exchange (WMADM) very very disappointing

Ok, I eagerly anticipated the upgrade of Audlem Exchange (WMADM), RFS date set for 31st March 2012, date came and passed and nothing happened. Then we were told that everything would be completed by 17th April, and that we would have to put up with some disruption and slow speeds....no problem it will all better after the upgrade. 17th came and passed and we got a further email saying it had been delayed by a further few days, again not brilliant but it will be worth the wait!

The exchange finally seemed to be upgraded around the 20th April and we were told the usual story of now there is a 10 day learning period to establish the best connection, again expected this and it would definitely be worth the wait! So we are now 12+ days since the upgrade and the overall net effect is as follows:-

1) Best part of 5 weeks of ridiculously slow speeds during upgrade 300K at times

2) Now its settled at a sync speed of 576K and an IP profile of around 400K

3) Before the upgrade I have been on 900K to 1Mb IP profile and a sync speed of approx 1.2MB for the past 2yrs

So in summary, 5 weeks of virtually useless service in the hope it would all be worth the wait, to find that I'm now on half the speed that I was on before the upgrade - fantastic, should I only pay half the bill?

I have a line attenuation of approx 63dB which if you put into any of the adsl2+ calculators comes up with a figure of aprox 2MB download for ADSL2+, I have a quarter of that, and half what I had before the upgrade.

Any suggestions......can we downgrade??

0 Ratings
47 REPLIES 47
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 48

Re: ADSL2+ Upgrade of Audlem Exchange (WMADM) very very disappointing

Hi tractorman, Welcome to the forums.

Please can you post your Line stats from your router by going to: 192.168.1.254 -> Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Broadband -> ADSL -> Click on More details, and post all of the stats into a post so we can see what your Noise Margin figures are.etc?

Are you sure you were switched over to the new kit? When an exchange is upgraded, not all of the lines it serves is upgraded to the new kit - It can take months for the process to complete (As I found out 😛 ).

The DLM should adjust your connection to ADSL2 if it sees the need to (Especially on a line as long as yours - I would expect ADSL1 to perform the best but i'm not entirely sure if the 21CN DLM has that as an option).

Thanks

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
tractorman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 48

Chris,

Here are the stats:-

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 08:16:33
Downstream:576 Kbps
Upstream:636.2 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.8 dB / 4.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):65.0 dB / 39.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):14.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):3203868 / 9013
CRC Events (Down/Up):45 / 37
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):14 / 12
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):42 / 3
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 48

Hi are you connected to the test socket also have you removed the bell wire from terminal 3 this is a link http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html  try these first then post back please

Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 48

connection time is very low was that due to the router dropping connection or was it a manual reset to try and improve your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tractorman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 48

Hi,

Connection time is low due to manual reset last night. I have not done any manual resets during the 10 day learning period.

I will do the test socket in the next few hours and psot the results.

Thanks

0 Ratings
KevG123
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 48

I'm on a similar connection / long line

I've managed to squeeze out 1.2Mb for quite a while using the amazing 2 Wire 2700 and a filtered faceplate

My exchange (Freethorpe) is down for 21CN WBC at the end of June but all the availabilty checkers (incl wholesale) say ADSL2+ is available for my line now.

Tried calling sales but they say its not available and although 'up to 16mb' has suddenly become an upgrade option on 'My BT' the order always fails at the last stage - even when trying to upgrade to Option 3 from 2.

Could be coincidence, but since finding out I *should* be able to get ADSL2+ by profile has dropped to 750k, I'm syncing at 1086 and my router seems to show I've been capped at 1086.

All the advice here so far has been for long lines ADSL2+ won't improve things or could even make them worse.

However, I'm willing to give it a try as until I squeezedout that 1Mb couple of years ago all the checkers said I would get 250k or nothing at all - it then quoted 1Mb only after I'd achieved it Smiley LOL the current checker text says I will get 1Mb to 3.5Mb with ADSL2+

Understand ADSL2+ technology is more sensitive to  noise but when you suffer such poor speed for so long anyway you want to give anything a go

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 48

hi the up to 20mb service that was advertised as up to 20 mb was connection speed they are now advertising all products including Infinity as Download speeds hope that helps
0 Ratings
KevG123
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 48

Yeah, but it always said (for me) 'up to 8Mb'

It now says 'up to 16Mb' which I believe means ADSL2+

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 48

if your attenuation is still 74db as in a previous post then ads2/2+ will never give you 16mb even 1.6mb would be really good

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings