Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 61

Re: ADSL2+ on a Loooong Line - DAY 1

Go to solution

with your attenuation of 63 you should still be able to get about 2mb connection speed on adslmax or adsl2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KevG123
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 61

Go to solution

Unfortunatley, real downstream attenuation is 72.8db which I think means I'm lucky to even get a connection

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 61

Go to solution

should have read the previous posts - remember nowSmiley Sad

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KevG123
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 61

Go to solution

No problem

You guys must read so many posts every day Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 61

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

with your attenuation dropping by 2db maybe you have had a 'lift & shift' and got a better connection   with your long line adsl2 doesn't really matter and more importatnt is you seem to have a better faster conenction

Could have been the change from the old Alcatel DSLAM to Huawei (Infineon) MSAN in the exchange as two different manufacturers probably churn out slightly different readings.

The reason your downstream sync is higher is probably because of the slightly lower attenuation and because of the new Training Period you are on once you have been switched to different kit in the exchange. If you were on a 9dB Target Noise Margin profile on the Alcatel, the Infineon DLM will be trying the 6dB profile first to see if your line is stable with it (It did with me) which means a speed increase.

I'll be interested in seeing how ADSL2+ performs on your line because while it offers double the download bits and frequency band which can sometimes see a small speed increase on long lines, it has a much more aggressive DLM (As discussed previously in the thread).

Edit: I'm not sure whether the 21CN DLM has the ability to do so, but is there any chance it could have intentionally set the modulation to ADSL (G.DMT) because your attenuation is so long? It has been known to switch automatically to ADSL2 on some lines if they are long.

I hope the connection works out for you.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 61

Go to solution

you don't need to be on a long line for the change from adsl2 to 2+ and back again and again.  the quality of your connection and amount of noise can cause the switch from 1 to another - from personal experience

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 61

Go to solution
and that was brought me to the forum to ask about
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 61

Go to solution

Ah right I see, I wasn't sure how the DLM changing the Modulation works. 

KevG123 may just be seeing the situation we have seen many times before where customers are upgraded to 21CN but are left on standard ADSL.

Any idea what causes this? Surely unless it's intentional (and if its the situation), the MSAN should by default offer all modulations to the line?

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 61

Go to solution

there are posts on the forum with attenuation the same but with modulation of 992.3/992.5 so line length cannot just be the reason.  it is possble that it has just not been upgraded yet

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 61

Go to solution
that i have to say is my feeling
0 Ratings