Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: ADSL2+ up stream speed problem

A line problem either noise or possible electrical interference. If you have extension sockets did you check there was no dial tone when you are connected to test socket. Not unusual for people to do a bit DIY and connect extension to small junction box where dropwire joins internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 18

I would opt for a line problem as last August 17 it started off the same as this problem and eventually got down to just 2 megs downstream . It took four engineering visits and two charges for non existing internal wiring faults which BT eventually cancelled. On the fourth engineering visit the very pleasant young guy was "underground trained" he found an "HR dis" which he corrected. Maybe another similar issue has popped up. But the line is good on quiet line test .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

your reference to Electrical Interference is interesting I have a Ham Radio licence. I do not transmit from this address but do listen and sometimes both the 3.5Mhz (80m) and 5Mhz (60m) bands are completely blown away by noise which appears and disappears at random. Am I correct in thinking that if my line has a rectified HR dis it might well not tolerate this sort of local electrical noise .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

@Keith_Beddoe. Can you help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

If you look at the broadband frequency spectrum as shown here ADSL and VDSL Frequency spectrum

You will see that the upload bandwidth starts at about 26KHz and end at about 138KHz. That makes is very susceptible to interference from switch mode power units, LED lighting drivers, and normal fluorescent tubes.

Also induced interference from faulty builer thermostats etc

Take a look at this link Interference

What it means in practice, is that is very easy to lose upload bandwidth due to a noise burst.

If you disconnect the ADSL input for about 20 seconds, then reconnect it, you may find that the upload connection speed recovers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Hi Keith , followed your "reset HH4 " suggestion and amazingly
21:47:12, 15 Feb. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=17190Kbps, Up Rate=1259Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.1dB, Up=6.7dB

I've deliberately not reset the HH4 in fear of "upsetting our mate DLM " !!!
Just goes to show . I think I've spotted the culprit over the road . A permanently "ON" but intermittently flashing yellow street light
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

You will not upset DLM with a single disconnection, so do not worry. It works well when the link is upset by a noise burst Smiley Wink

I am on ADSL and occasionally, when someone is working on the exchange frame, I get a burst of noise which causes the same thing, and I have to do a short disconnect to wake things up again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Thanks so much for your help on this . I'll just watch how the ADSL performs over coming weeks . And I'll contact the street lighting guys at the local authority asap re the faulty street light .
Mikem55
0 Ratings