cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

ADSL2+ vs ADSL2+ Annex M?

Sometimes, I've been checking properties to find out what kind of fibre broadband speeds they're getting (using addresses from google maps, only for informative purposes (trying to find a house that might give me better speeds as I'm moving soon! :P)) and I've noticed something strange.

On certain exchanges with ADSL2+ enabled, I have sometimes noticed a row for "ADSL2+ Annex M". What exactly is the difference between these packages? They report the exact same information, although the row for "Annex M" reports a upstrream "Up to 1.5" rate for which ADSL2+ doesn't report (it's just dashed lines).

Or is it just a bug and the "Annex M" package isn't really a package, but just the technology for ADSL2+? Thanks! 😄

Screenshot of an example property I checked (location has been deleted for privacy):

annexm.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: ADSL2+ vs ADSL2+ Annex M?

annex m gives a faster upspeed to adsl2 but is not available to residential customers and it was suggested BT no longer do annex m for business

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

annex m gives a faster upspeed to adsl2 but is not available to residential customers and it was suggested BT no longer do annex m for business

So it's basically a useless package they're not offering anymore? Considering the speeds of Annex M seem to be just the same as normal ADSL2, it seems redundant in any case 😛

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

no annex M gave a faster upload speed so in that respect was better than adsl2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

no annex M gave a faster upload speed so in that respect was better than adsl2

Oh ok. But as you said... they don't offer the package anymore, so confused as to why they're still listing it on dslchecker.bt.com (much less on residential properties which is not available to them O.o)

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

the checker is not exclusive to BT Retail

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

the checker is not exclusive to BT Retail

I am aware. However, I thought they'd at least make sure that obvious "buisness only" packages don't show up on residential properties. o.O

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

the same checker is used for both business and residential services some providers still sell annexe M services not BT however
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

@john46 wrote:
the same checker is used for both business and residential services some providers still sell annexe M services not BT however

Ah, makes sense. I've seen some Annex M providers when I searched, so I guess they just report that information for those Annex M providers. It's kinda useless, unless you need a dropped download speed to boost your upload. Frankly, I'd just take fibre if it's available 😛

0 Ratings