Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 52

Re: ADSLMax Profile stuck?

Go to solution

there are none shown

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 22 of 52

Go to solution

I abstracted the log sessions and in doing left out the 'PPP LCP Sending Termination Request' message as this problem has been hanging around the BT Broadband service since 2013.  

Many instances of this problem have been resolved by BT fixing (replacing) the line from the (Pole/Exchange/Junction Box) into the house. It appears that broadband transmissions do not work well with the older copper wire used in earlier years.

However, I dont think my problem can be attributed to this cause as I can experience many days of uninterupted connection and then, as now, I experience periods of multiple disconnections (resets) that are provoked by the BT server (see sample of log below). The strange thing is that these requests usually happen overnight when I am not using the service so they do not interupt my use. Their frequency, however, results in the DLM kicking in and downrate my profile to a level much lower than the ADSL connection rate that can be achieved with the usually acceptable SNR value of 6.

My current download rate has now reduced 6464 with and SNR value of 11.3 (which is amazingly high). This rate, as expected, supports my current IP value of 5.5. This value should be considered low as during the past week my ADSL connection rate has regularly ranged from 6500 up to 7250, all with SNR values around 6. At this level my IP value should rise to at least 6 if not 6.5!

I look forward to seeing the moderatorscomments once they have looked into the possible causes of my degraded service.

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 10.17.54.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 10.11.51.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 11.22.22.png

Hope this extra info clarifies the situation in which I find myself.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 52

Go to solution

with all these resets getting mod help with your profile is really secondary and real problem is the resets.   need to try and find cause of your resets otherwise your profile will just drop again as with that many resets you will get a low speed like now when profile of 5.5mb is correct  it will either take the 3/5 days to correct itself assuming speed increases or maybe even stick again

can I ask if you are using the test socket with a new filter to eliminate your faceplate and internal wiring as causing any problems?  this is important should you need to get engineer visit as it makes it unlikely that you will be charged £129.99 for engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 24 of 52

Go to solution

I agree entirely with your suggestion that the cause of the resets should established.

As I pointed out when I first raised my problem of 'Stuck Profile' my service had been stable and uninterupted by restarts/resets for over 10 days. This stable period was preceded by many months where my service was occasionally interupted by these spurious requests. These invariably occured overnight so I put them down to 'services maintenance' taking place.

My enquiry was raised because my DSL connection rate has been in the high 6000 band for many months but my IP value appeared to be stuck at 5.5 (my download speed rarely exceeded 5.3.

As you will see from the BTWholesale Speedtest taken below last year I have been receiving a far better service than I currently get although the DSL connection rate is no better than it is at present.

I can confirm that all my internal telephone wiring and the local underground telephone cabling to my house has remained unchanged for more than 12 years since I moved to this property, so I have no reason to suspect that a fault has suddenly appeared, as you seem to suggest.

I should add that these repetative resets that I am now getting have only started to occur after you suggested that I reset my HH earlier this week. Coincidence or what?

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 09.17.19.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 52

Go to solution

it is up to you if you use the test socket with a new filter but that will eliminate your setup and wiring as being the cause of the resets.  old wiring can cause problems even if never touched

by using the test socket and problem still exits then should you get engineer visit it would be unlikely that you will get charged the callout fee of £129.99.  still up to you

0 Ratings
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 26 of 52

Go to solution

Ok, I have now both done a 'Factory Reset' on my HH5 and used the 'Test' socket on my NTE. All to no avail on the way the DLM service manages my line.

Below are the result of a speed test I did before the  HH5 reset.

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 11.10.49.png

From this you can see that that although my connection rate is 5.31 Mbps my IP profile is now only 4 Mbps, much lower than the 5.5 Mbps that I had been getting for the many months before I raised the issue of 'stuck profile'!

After the reset the follwing connection was achiieved:

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 11.12.35.png

You will notice that the sync rate achieved is 6912 which is very close to the max possible of 7.15. 

I  think this clearly demonstrates that my line is working perfectly and I would therefore expect that over the next 3 days DLM would slowly raise my IP Profile back to at least 5.5 if not 6.0. This, however, is not the case. Last night DLM reset my hub several times and on each occasion the sync rate achieved varied considerably from between 4704 up to 6848 all with noise margins above 9.

I am now left with a low sync rate with little chance of my low very low IP Profile being changed.

I must ask again 'what is going on' as these problems only started to manifest themselves after I raised my first query about my profile being stuck at 5.5 Mbps after I had been getting an uninterupted service over many weeks (i.e. NO resets whatsoever) with a sync rate in the high 6000's.

I repeat that my previous very stable service has suddenly plummeted to abysmal. Unless you can prove to me that my line is at fault as every test I do as recommened by the BT website indicates no problem whatsoever, I see no reason to request an engineer attend as I feel this will be a waste of everyones time.

I look forward to hearing from a moderator very soon otherwise I am prepared to escalate this matter through the formal BT complaint procedures.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 52

Go to solution

withyour attenuation and a good stable conenction I would expect a conenction speed of about 7.5mb maybe higher.  your current connection speed is 6848kbps and noise margin high at 9.3db.  If the noise margin gets down to normal 6db then I think your speed will near the 7.5mb maybe higher

are you still connected to test socket?  if so were the resets still happening suggesting there is a problem outside your home

a connection speed of 6848kbps should give a profile of 6mb

Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 28 of 52

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I agree fully with your conclusion regarding speed which is why I am very disappointed that the DLM sessions regularly result in in my HH resyncing itself.

The test results that I sent were actually achieved from my extension as there is no noticable difference when connected to the test socket!

I hope you can find some way to stop DLM from constantly trying to reconfigure my connection when there is obviously no apparent reason to do so.

I look forward to my profile being raised to the 6mb level that my line can support.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 52

Go to solution

the DLM is automatic and there is no way to turn it off - it applies to all connections including fibre  The DLM will only try and make change if it 'sees' a line problem whether that is noise or more errors accumulating than normal

0 Ratings
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 30 of 52

Go to solution

I appreciate that it is supposed to optimise connection speed with a reasonable balance between error rate and speed, but surely its possible that it can get its process wrong from time to time. DLM has forced my HH into a resync state more than 6 times in the last 12 hrs. Many of these resyncs have taken place within minutes of each other which implies that the DLM does not know what its doing!

After last nights resyncs if have ended up with a sync rate of 5280 mbps and a noise margin of 16.4 db! If the target noise margin is 6db and my max line speed possible is 7150 mbps then DLM must surely not be working correctly if it settles at this connection rate?

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 09.10.59.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 10.09.32.png

0 Ratings