cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

ADSLMax or ADSL 2+

I've been having issues with BT ever since I foolishly changed from TalkTalk and have been on this forum a number of times for help.  The last time my line was reset and my IP Profile increased to 6.2 giving almost acceptable download speeds of 5+ MBPS.  Yesterday I noticed my profile was 6.8 but today it has dropped back to 4.5 for no obvious reason.  I did reboot the router after an email from BT suggesting that I should do that but not sure if what the IP profile was prior to that so not sure if this had an effect.  Poor download speeds again meaning streaming TV is again not an option 😞

I did however notice that I am on ADSLMax whereas according to BT my exchange is capable of ADSL 2+ so I'm wondering if it would be worth while asking BT to swap?

Apparently my exchange is also due to be upgraded to Infinity FTTC sometime in the next few months.  The exchange is Keadby Cabinet 1 apparently.  Odd that BT inifinity checker suggests no plans to upgrade yet the exchanges in Scunthorpe are being upgraded as we speak.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: ADSLMax or ADSL 2+

can you enter your phone numbver and post results   remember to delete phone number before posting https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you also post the 2 lines of stats from your router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Telephone Number 01724 xxxxxx on Exchange KEADBY is served by Cabinet 1

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4.5--3 to 7Available
ADSL MaxUp to 3.5--2.5 to 6.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

These are some lines from the log showing the change from yesterday to today...

23:23:25, 21 Apr. (134560.640000) DSL is up
23:23:23, 21 Apr. (134558.820000) DSL noise margin: 24.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
23:23:23, 21 Apr. (134558.740000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 4736 Kbps downstream

10:02:04, 20 Apr. ( 79.990000) DSL is up
10:02:02, 20 Apr. ( 78.320000) DSL noise margin: 24.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
10:02:02, 20 Apr. ( 78.170000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 7392 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

One quick note on the above.  I have disconnected all internal wiring now to ensure that this cannot be affecting the Internet connection and have replaced all filters etc...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

strange connection speed on 20/4 of 7392 compared to 21/4 which was 4736 and closer to the estimated.  what changed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

That was the thing - nothing has changed AFAIK.  My connection has hovered around 6MBPS download speed for a few weeks now - then it seemed to be slow and I was surprised to see the IP profile at 6.8MBPS from the BT speed checker.  I rebooted the router late on the 21st as nothinbg could connect via wireless and then checked again this morning to get the results shown.  Priior to that the router had been up for several weeks.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

if it was me I think I would try and get mods to get you on to adsl2 which would give a faster speed but difficult to say how much faster as your speed has already better than estimate.  you may have to agree a new contract for mods to get upgrade but they would advise you

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

do you want mods to try and get you on to adsl2?  I would add that they have succeeded in most cases they tried but for a few others wholesale did not give an adsl2 option

0 Ratings
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Not sure which is the best way to go as hopefully within the next month or two Infinity FTTC should be available in this area.  Would changing to ADSL 2+ affect my ability to go to Infinity when available?  If not then I would like to see about upgrading as I use the Internet for my business and it's just too slow much of the time.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 15

Are you aware that you should not be using a residential connection for business purposes ?

Quote from residential Terms & Conditions :- The services and equipment we provide to you under these terms must not be used for business purposes.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings