cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bwthyn
Message 1 of 4

ADVERTS AND POPUPS

I am new to BTYahoo on Windows 8 and find the adverts and popups etc highly obtrusive and sometimes offensive.  Can someone advise me how to remove them please

Many thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: ADVERTS AND POPUPS

Download and use the Firefox web browser, then install the free Adblock Plus add on.

Alternativly, use an e-mail client like Thunderbird, to read your mail.

Instructions on this link.

Using Thunderbird e-mail client instead of Yahoo web mail - No adverts

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

As well as KB's suggestions, Google Chrome also works well with AdBlock. There's also one called Simple Adblock for Internet Explorer but it seems to die after a while.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

Disabling FLASH in your web browser will save you some of the distractions of adverts and will also save you substantial amounts of your broadband allowance (as most sites have distracting adverts and even pop-up videos nowadays, very annoying)

in Internet Explorer 7 and 8 

go to Tools, Internet Options, a new panel opens.  Select Programs, towards the bottom of the page there is a manage ad ons button, click that.  Find Shockwave and mark it as disabled.

In Chrome, type plug ins in the address bar

Bookmark it because it makes it very much quicker to re-enable it if you need or want to

Navigate to Adobe Flash Player and check the disable box

Don't have the details for other browsers but I am sure you can find them on google or ask in here.

I reckon I save 10% of my allowance by disabling flash and the little ads aren't half as distracting.

0 Ratings