Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Soundinsync
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

APP WIFI

Go to solution

I've now got comms between my phone and my WIFI which is fine but this doesn't enable other people to use my WIFI does it.  The system is just me communicating via WIFI and nobody else?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: APP WIFI

Go to solution

as you have signed up to BTFON now BTWIFI then anybody can connect to the BTWIFI signal from your hub provided they are in range just like you can conenct to another customer's BTWIFI signal when you are out and about

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Soundinsync
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Oh, I see, I thought it was just for me to communicate via the WIFI.  If that is the case, how do I come out of this system?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

go here and opt out  https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon/status

remember you will not be able to access BTWIFI/BTFON when you are out and about if you opt out

the BTWIFI signal on your hub is different from you home wifi connection and there is no access from BTWIF to you home network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Soundinsync
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks, I'll try that link.  I didn't want the BTFON about a year ago but the way this WIFI was shown to me sugested just communicating my mobile phone locally into the local WIFI and not re-doing the BTFON system again!  Oh well, it never rains!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

It was not even a re-do just a name change

0 Ratings
Soundinsync
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks for all your work.  I've just opted out, phew, that was a close one!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

it can take a few days to show that no longer active on your hub

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Your other thread suggested that you wanted to use BT Wi-Fi as you had installed the app on your phone.

Do you realise, as imj pointed out, that you won't be able to use BT Wi-Fi away from home if you opt out? If that's what you want it's probably best to uninstall the app otherwise (depending on your settings) it might bleep whenever you pass a hotspot, even though you won't be able to use it.

Your reaction to opting out indicates that you're worried about security of the BT Wi-Fi facility. There's no need to be; other customers can only use a limited portion of your bandwidth, and the connection is quite separate from your main broadband.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Just to clarify, other people arent using your wifi with this service. It is part of the spectrum of the wi fi you home hub emits.

You cannot use this bit of the wifi from your home hub and no one can access your pc's and laptop's data etc when it is enabled.

In its simplest form, you allow others to use this bit of the broadband spectrum near your home for others allowing you to do the same when you are out and about.

Dont confuse this with WPA 2 \ WPA \ WEP encryptions which does prevent people accessing you data broadcast over the wifi network.
0 Ratings