Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBPAK
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

APPLE MACBOOK PRO & HOME HUB (3 & 4) CONNECTION STABILITY FIX

Hi,

I have finally solved a very irritating problem involving my macbook pro and the bt homehub. This has been tested on the macbook pro retina 13 and 15 inch and home hub 3 & 4.

Although the device is connected to the HH and the connection seems stable/constant, webpages either hang or do not render properly. This can sometimes be solved by refreshing the page but not always. 

I have a openreach modem, HH and infinity option 2 (unlimited) with a DL speed of 80MB. I originally thought it was the router and used a multitude of netgears and tp-link routers under PPPOE but the problem persisted. The speed test reports a respectable 72/73 MB DL speed but stability is the issue rather than speed.

I then purchased a HH4 to upgrade my HH3 and tweaked a number of settings on both the router and macbook pro having consulted google, which finally solved my problem.

Steps to ensure stable wifi access:

1) Disable Smart Setup if you HH has it

2) Separate 5GHZ and 2GHZ Wifi SSID's so 2 SSID's appear when searching for wifi (Separate Names)

3) Disable Smart Wireless channel and use a smartphone app or the network utility app on your mac to determine the best channel to use for both 5 and 2 ghz

Then look at your macbook pro

4) Disable Bluetooth (I know it should not cause any problems but disabling bluetooth fixes alot)

5) Create a new network location and add the DNS manually to the network preferences. (Use either your own DNS or the standard router IP DNS server)

Then reboot everything (router, modem and macbook pro).

The connection should now be stable. 

If any step seems unclear, google that specific step then proceed as per normal. I know the steps seem weird and you should not be expected to have to do this for a stable internet connection but it does work.

I hope this fixes your problem !!!

2 REPLIES 2
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: APPLE MACBOOK PRO & HOME HUB (3 & 4) CONNECTION STABILITY FIX

As a visitor you probably don't realise that these fixes have been recommended on this forum for ages.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: APPLE MACBOOK PRO & HOME HUB (3 & 4) CONNECTION STABILITY FIX

Thanks for taking the time to post MBPAK it will no doubt help anyone searching for the answer to this problem.
0 Ratings