Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brinnie
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

About to get Infinity - some questions.

Hi all.

I should be getting infinity soon if things go according to plan, while waiting I thought I d ask a few question some to other customers and some to the tech people.

1 - - - to other users : We ll be using the net for various things in the house but something that is important to me is a 24/7 usable internet even at peak times. I understand that congestion will mean slower speeds but in the case of my current provider peak times equals High Latency, High Jitter and packet loss.

As they insured they have lots of customers on my exchange this scenario now occurs every day for a few hours when I would use my pc for playing online with friends, making it impossible for me to do so.

During peak hours is the infinity service still totally usable for all purposes or does it suffer similiarly, I know that speed may decrease but there s plenty to spare from what I understand.

2 - - - Options 2 comes with the upright router, is it a modem + router or are the two separate?

I would like to use the router "wired" what connections does it use, ethernet sockets for both  in and out.

3 - - - I would like to install the service without running any software setup, can I connect the equipment and get up and running by setting everything manually.

4 - - - Option 2 is meant to be unlimited but subject to a fair usage policy, where can I find details of what is considered fair, is there a certain limit on traffic at specific times?

thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
AvidExpert
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: About to get Infinity - some questions.

1. Infinity seems to be fine for me during peak hours now, It was terrible the first weekend [Fri-Sun] but now I have no problems.

2. From what I see you get a modem + router.

3. Yes

4. 300gb

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Brinnie
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your quick reply.

Do you ever use your bt connection for gaming at peak times?

That is what is affected most severely in my case with my ISP.

0 Ratings
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Hi

I am in Infinity and have no problems with gamming at any time, I play Quakelive and to uk servers 27/28 ms no spikes or jitters. I have long line length hence the higher ping times. I have read that some connections drop a few meg, however BT say 12 meg throughput at all times as long as your sync speed is higher. If you get a 30ish meg sync speed then hopefully you may get about 20ms for ping times to uk servers.

For setup you get a vdsl modem which is fitted at your master socket and the engineer will fit an ethernet cable to where your hub will sit.

For the software you don't have to install it, however the engineer will most likely setup the hub this way, you can always uninstall the software once you are happy to do so.

0 Ratings
Brinnie
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

It sounds promising.

Though I don t object to very low ping I dont mind playin with higher pings too.

However the jitter I can do without but recently it gets like this for me in the evening:

In the evening , when it is good, it is never better than this:

Which is not great anyway, the jitter keeps jumping up and down on each testing, I got sick of it really and I do hope that I will have a good service with BT.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Hi

I get about the same all the time as you did for your evening test from pingtest.net and alway get a very good rating for the line. I used Maidenhead for the test and I am 400 miles away, plus that is where the game servers I use are.

To be honest you have two choices FTTC or Cable, you can't really go wrong with either service, I have had some problems to start with the FTTC service, however all seems to be resolved, throughput for me is about 2.5 meg on file transfer and have a sync speed of 23.5 meg, I have a long line length and this is the best I will get.

Have you tried a line check to see what BT are offering for the FTTC service? It seems to under rate what you will get and as a rule of thumb add about 8 meg to the estimate and it will be closer to that, mines was 16.3 meg down, however if you do go for the FTTC get the engineer to prove what your sync speed is at the point of install as they will fit thier JDSU which messures the sync speed. 

Sorry just noticed as I posted this reply you are already on cable, oops

0 Ratings
Bradley686
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Hi everyone, i decided to upgrade from total broadbabd to infinity and the thing im worried about is my new hub and modem were due out today as the engineer is due to call tomorrow. What happens if he calls to my house and i still havnt recieved my new hub/modem?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 8 of 13

@Bradley686 wrote:
Hi everyone, i decided to upgrade from total broadbabd to infinity and the thing im worried about is my new hub and modem were due out today as the engineer is due to call tomorrow. What happens if he calls to my house and i still havnt recieved my new hub/modem?

Thanks

Hi there,

If you haven't received your Home Hub, then usually the Engineer/Installer will carry a spare one on his van.

What I would do in the interim period, is go to www.bt.com/trackmyorder and input your VOL number and postcode to bring up the tracking page. If you then look under "My equipment delivery", then you will notice a panel to the right that says "What should I do if ParcelForce or Royal Mail have not delivered my equipment by the agreed date?" click on the link and you will be taken to this page which gives you an 0845 phone number to call.

Hope this info helps. Smiley Very Happy

Bradley686
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Hey thanks for your responce. I checked the order tracking web page and the only orders on it are
My appointment date
my activation date
and my phone line activation date. It doesnt say anything about my equipment. Should i worry? Maybe it will come tomorrow or like you said the engineer will have a spare one.
0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 10 of 13

@Bradley686 wrote:
Hey thanks for your responce. I checked the order tracking web page and the only orders on it are
My appointment date
my activation date
and my phone line activation date. It doesnt say anything about my equipment. Should i worry? Maybe it will come tomorrow or like you said the engineer will have a spare one.

Hi again,

If I were you, I would give BT Infinity sales a call on 0800 525 775 and quote your VOL number to them and they should be able to give you further advice.

Sorry I can't be more help. 😞

0 Ratings