cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xanxion
Contributor
Message 21 of 73

Re: Absolute Rubbish Don't Upgrage

How can you be mis-sold something that was a free upgrade?, if you went to hire a car and they offered to a different car at no extra cost, the only catch being it was a different colour, would you really have been mis-sold? O_o.

Why not call BT tech and ask them to change your line profile to a higher rate?, might end up being unstable but it should raise a couple more meg.

Really though, as webby points out, the difference between 34meg and 44meg isn't that great, 10 meg equates to about 1.2mb/sec in relative terms, with you already getting around 4mb a second, would 5.2mb a second (the absolute maximum of your lines estimation) make such a huge difference?

0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 22 of 73

it is not a free upgrade as they have signed me up to an 18 month contract when I have 8 months left which I could have used to shop around but I got sucked in by the speed upgrade and I actually think 10 mb more is quite a bit 

0 Ratings
cherkhan
Expert
Message 23 of 73

It does to me. I have multiple charts open for financial trading using different time frames. I need any extra bandwidth I can get so Firefox stops flaming falling over!!!!!

When a charts stalls, Firefox goes arghhhhhhhh. God I hate that browser.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 73

@kristian99 wrote:

why would I want to go back to adsl my problem is I had infinity option 2 already and was getting 34mb download when they bought out these new speeds the estimate that my line could handle went up which led me to believe if I upgraded I would get a speed increase so I upgraded and have received absolutley no speed increase and they have made me sign up to a new 18 month contract so if my line can only handle 34 mb download why is the checker saying I can get 44.2

The checker ESTIMATES you can get 44.2. I does not guarantee it.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 25 of 73

for the last time I know it is an estimate but if my ip profile says my line cannot go over 34mb then the estimate is wrong it is not possible to get up to 44mb so the estimate they have given is not possible to achieve so they have offered a product that they cannot provide

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 73

And for the last time I've told you it's down to your line.

Let us say, that there are 1000 lines all the same length as yours.

The estimation will be based on the average results from those line including capacitance value, noise induction, loop loss among a few other things. It is an average.

There are going to be some in the lower 5th percentile, and some in the upper 5th percentile. You might be unlucky and be in the lower.

I think I've already suggested waiting the 10 days and contacting the mods or go via the helpdesk and request an engineer.

Accept my help or not, I'm not really bothered. I shan't be posting again in this thread 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 73

you are getting what your line can support as a stable connection as has been said before the checker is an estimate as simple as that you took the option to upgrade know one forced you
0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 28 of 73

good riddance but I don't suppose you will read this though
0 Ratings
Highlighted
xanxion
Contributor
Message 29 of 73

I really don't see what it is you're failing to comprehend.

IP Profile is not FIXED, it's what is automatically set for best stability, you can ask them to switch the profile if you want, it just may not be as stable.

@kristian99 wrote:
it is not a free upgrade as they have signed me up to an 18 month contract

This was stated clearly when applying for the upgrade, at which point you're given an ESTIMATE of what speeds you could get under THE BEST CONDITIONS.

it is YOU that agreed to these terms, nobody had a gun to your head.

You agreed to an extended contract in exchange for the possibility of higher speeds - if you're not willing to take anyones advice, and for example, phone up and ask for your ip profile to be switched, then why even bother posting?

Just a word of advice though, if you're going to call up and ask for assistance, don't give the people on the phone the same attitude you've shown here.

kristian99
Contributor
Message 30 of 73

thanks for your advice

0 Ratings