cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kristian99
Contributor
Message 41 of 73

Re: Absolute Rubbish Don't Upgrage

I have phone bt they put me through to tech support they said they are aware of some issues but have told me to wait 10 days from activation and have assured me my speeds will get faster

0 Ratings
Wizen
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 73

Why is it so difficult for some to comprehend the fact that speed estimates are indeed estimates. Your actual speed depends on a few variables. Distance from the cab, crosstalk and even how many times you reboot the Openreach VDSL modem. All these things will have an effect on your line profile.

Only 2 years ago I was unable to get speeds above 6Mb. I still find it difficult to stomach people moaning about only getting 34Mb over wireless.

As for the 10 day line stabilization process... It's entirely possible that both the ADSL and VDSL (Infinity) products require up to 10 days to configure themselves. With ADSL/2 things like interleaving and fastpath could be applied/removed depending on line quality. Also the SNR margin could be increased to stabilize the connection. And on VDSL, IP profiles can steadily lower to provide a more stable connection, and interleaving/fastpath can be applied or removed.

10 days is a little long. But I've noticed that since I was upgraded on Friday, my IP profile has steadily decreased from 76Mb to 57Mb. I don't feel cheated or hard done by. I knew what I was signing up for.

LaughingJohn
Contributor
Message 43 of 73

@Kristian - let us know how you get on!

@wizen -

We do get it, really we do. The thing is that this is slightly different to when you take out a new contract. When you do that you get something in return, broadband, even if that broadband doesn't meet the estimated speed.

The problem with the "upgrade" is that the only return you get from signing the new contract is an improved speed. If you don't get that improved speed then you've signed away your right to move provider for absolutely nothing, zilch. BT gain, you lose, it's that simple.

The problem is, because it's an estimate (there's that word again) no-one can be sure if it's worth them signing up until after they have already signed up, by which time it's too late. Which is frankly a bit mental. A simple 21-day cooling off period or an easy process to downgrade with old contract intact would solve everything.

0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 44 of 73

@wizen will you still be happy if your broadband drops below 30 just as long as you get above the 6mb you got years ago, sorry but you cannot compare new products to stuff you received years ago, bt advertised this speed increase so I would hope they could provide it the speed checker states I would receive 44.2 mb download and states this below this quote

BT always offers you the best speed possible on your line.The speed prediction we have given here is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall within a range. The range is an indication of the speed that other similar lines across the UK have achieved for their broadband service; this is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your single estimated speed quoted.

I am receiving 34mb so I find that unacceptable perhaps we have different levels of expectation but if you are happy that is fine but does not mean everyone else has to be satisfied.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
xanxion
Contributor
Message 45 of 73

@kristian99 wrote:
this is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your single estimated speed quoted.

Key word here is generally, it does not garuntee it, besides they have already confirmed to you there is an issue, so be pathient, wait the 10 days and if theres still no improvement, have them change your profile, really is that simple.

@LaughingJon

Upgrade is optional, and extension of contract is clearly stated when ordering, even with a "general" guideline, a speed estimate is only as good as the average data collected during testing, this does not account for every single instance, when you agree to an extended contract where the speed improvement isn't garunteed, it's silly to be upset about it.

There is no extra cost unless you are planning on leaving before the contract is up, however if you've agreed to that extension of contract can you really call it an added cost?, you'd still be receiving service for those additional contracted months, it's not like you are being charged more, or being charged for a service you cannot have.

Sure people may feel cheated if they're impatient with their speeds and they havent dramatically improved in the flick of a switch, but you still have to take into account that in these situations it's up to you to read a contract before signing it, and nowhere in that contract does it claim there will 'definitely' be an improvement of speed.

The thing is, I feel for OP's situation, he initially went about it angrilly which to me doesnt stand out as the best option for doing things, but i've offered help and suggestions for him to resolve the situation or at least improve it some, my only issue the entire time has been that the threads topic more or less creates a generalization for an individuals service issues, as I and many others in this thread has shown, a lot of peoples speed virtually doubled, so telling people not to upgrade based on an individual experience is just as wrong as telling people to go upgrade right this second - Leave people to their own devices and let them make the choice themselves, if they're old enough to be in the position to choose to start with, they should be old enough to make an informed descision for themselves.

0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 46 of 73

@xanxion thanks for repy is it best to ask the indian help desk to change my profile

0 Ratings
twitch
Beginner
Message 47 of 73

UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE

Great service ...

Estimated 59/20

Got about 75/15

AWESOME

Well done BT

0 Ratings
LaughingJohn
Contributor
Message 48 of 73

@xanxion

I agree with most of what you say, although I still feel that being tied-in is a cost of sorts. A lot can happen in 18 months and a better alternative may come along. If Virgin fibre is an option the price may come down or if it's not an option now it may become one.

I still can't help feeling it's a bit unfair that people could be tied in for another 18 months when there is actually no benefit at all. And worse still there's no way of knowing. Plenty of people may not realise that their "upgrade" may not actually be anything of the sort. Don't forget the vast amount of users are not as technically minded as you are.

Legally it may be all above board but it still feels a bit icky. If BT are confident in their product why can't they offer a cooling off period after the installation?

Of course I fully accept that it's a great deal for yourself and the others getting faster speeds and that may constitute the vast majority of users. 

Just to put my views in perspective I'm very happy with Infinity despite getting slower speeds than the lot of you, so I'm not just bitching at BT.

Oh and I agree that Kristian was a bit OTT with the title and some of his replies, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a fair point...

0 Ratings
kristian99
Contributor
Message 49 of 73

I might have to eat some humble pie it is speeding up my ip profile has gone up from 33.7 to 35.33 and so has the speed perhaps I was wrong about the 10 day stabilisation being rubbish!

0 Ratings
LaughingJohn
Contributor
Message 50 of 73

Smiley Very Happy

Good news!

0 Ratings