Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soupladel
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Acceptable Noise Margin for Infinity2 & HH5

Go to solution

I know this is a subjective question, but what are generally considered acceptable noise margins?  mine are:

6. Data rate:19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate:41249 / 116260
8. Noise margin:24.1 / 16.3
9. Line attenuation:11.2 / 11.1
10. Signal attenuation:11.4 / 11.1

I just switched over mrom my Netgear modem/router yesterday and infinity2 was activated today, but from what i remember of my ADSL2 these numbers seem a bit high considering i am a stones throw from the exchange and therefore the fibre cabinet.

FYI my village was previously exchange only but they have obviously introduced FTTC in my village (Cabinet is right outside the exchange) but must have done so arround the time of me getting ADSL2 a few months ago - there was a lot of disruptions around that time and then shortly afterwards the cabinet appeared.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Acceptable Noise Margin for Infinity2 & HH5

Go to solution

For the vast majority of infinity customers the noise margin is about 6db and consider normal. However in certain cases the noise margin will be higher than 6db and yours is one of these cases.  It happens when the attainable is higher than the the capped speed whether that be infinity 1 40/55 or like your in infinity 2 with 80mb connection but attainable 116mb

it is a good thing in your case

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution
which makes sense if i was getting 80 but including real world tests, i have not been able to get any higher than 74MBps
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution
you are unlikely to get much faster you are already have the maximum connection speed
0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Sorry, its advertised at upto 80Mbps (I realise there is an implied ambiguity with "upto") the data rate suggests i should be getting 80Mbps.  on the ADSL2 service i was getting slightly over the advertised speed, largely because of my close proximity to the exchange.

I appeciate Infinity is a different technology, but based on there being no change in my proximity to the exchnge (or in this case now, the fibre cabinet) i cant help feel that there is an issue that wasnt there previously, which is not barring me from achieving the speed i perhaps should be.

There is probably more than a few people reading this thinking i shouldnt be complaining but those extra few Mbps are important to me considering a couple months ago i was only getting 7mbps

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

You have an 80mb connection speed actual download speed is something else and has no bearing in the noise margin

just like adsl2 you had a ceonnection speed and then if you checked btspeedtester you had a profile which was 88.2% of your conenction speed and your download speed was always less than your profile. The principle applies to fibre that the profile percentage is higher gpdelepnding in G.INP enabled or not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

omg mate be happy with 74mb u dont know how lucky you are..why are you complaining ? some of us have genuine speed issues like myself 31mb

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution
It's advertised as up to 76mbps.

With an 80meg sync, 74 is pretty much what is expected. What difference are you expecting to see if you were able to get an extra 2meg?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
The Infinity 2 connection speed cap is 80, you are connected at 79.995. Your line is actually capable of 115+ hence the high noise nargin. That's great for stability and reliability (low errors).

For a connection speed of 80 the nornal downstream IP profile is 77.43. That's the limit for data downloads but there are many other factors that can affect the download speed. On a good day downhill with the wind behind you speeds of 75, 76, even possibly 77 might be reported in certain tests, but generally anything 70+ would be pretty acceptable.

BT advertise it as up to 76 which is simply double the up to 38 of Infinity 1 (when with a connection speed cap of 40).
0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
ok, but my expectations were set by the ADSL package which was advertised as upto 17Mbps but in reality was 20Mbps (like you describe) but i actually received in the region of 21MBps.
0 Ratings