Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Acceptable Noise Margin for Infinity2 & HH5

Go to solution

adsl estimates were totally different especially for customers who were very close to the exchnage  adsl2+ could provide up to 24mb connection but very few could achieve thate and the package was initially sold with 20mb conenction speed but subsequently needed to be changed to show likely download speed hence 18mb

infinity is maxed at 80mb even if your line is capable of faster which your line is hence why noise margin higher than 'normal' 6db

you have as fast as you are going to get at present

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution
ADSL2+ is up to 24Mbps (connection speed). The max IP profile is 88.2% of that.

However, a lot of customers get nowhere near 24 connection speed due to line length and condition. After people complaining about being misled for years Ofcom and the ASA took action and forced the providers to advertise more realistic figures achievable by a certain proportion of customers. Hence ADSL now advertised as up to 17 by BT. The same ASA rules apply to fibre VDSL broadband as well as far as I'm aware.

Many would say it has just made things more confusing in some ways. Especially when added to the existing confusion over connection speeds, IP profiles and download speeds. The providers themselves often don't specify things clearly. Depends how you look at it I suppose.

Anyway, your speed is as good as it gets on Infinity 2. 🙂
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution
Personally I think it would have been clearer if they had left the up to limits as 24, 40, 55, 80 but made it clear that those are connection speed and also many people are likely to get a lower connection speed. Also data download speed will be lower than connection speed due to several other factors. Some would argue that is more confusing though.

Customers really just want a guaranteed data download speed, but that's impossible to give with the current technologies.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution
Another approach would have been to advertise much lower guaranteed minimum connection speeds. They can't actually guarantee it but could class it as a fault if it falls below that level.

Rather than do that at a general level BT now actually give a specific guaranteed minimum connection speed for your line at the time of order. That still doesn't guarantee data download speeds though.

There is no simple answer!
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution
Then you were very lucky.

This is a different technology (VDSL2) and you're connecting at the maximum speed available.

ADSL2+ technology actually has a maximum connection rate of 24mbps, however due to very very few people getting close to that, ISP's need to advertise it as an up to 17mbps product.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution
First off I do understand the differences between the technologies, but at their core, they are very similar in a number of ways. For example they are both subject to the same laws of diminishing returns for transmission of data over copper wires when it comes to distance. Therefore its reasonable to assume (as I did) that even with the different standards, i should be able to expect a similar result with VDSL2 as i did with ADSL2.

Secondly, I would also point out that as a standard, VDSL2 is actually capable of between 100Mbps and 50Mbps at distance of 500m and 1km. So in my case, i am in effect being artificially throttled in order to maintain bandwidth rather than the technology not allowing it.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution
Openreach set the service caps such as ADSL2+ 24/1 and VDSL2 40/2, 40/10, 55/10, 80/20.

Even though connections can theoretically be higher than 80 on VDSL2 (profile 17a) it seems like Openreach have decided that is a sensible limit for the UK infrastructure when balancing raw speed with reliability and stability.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution
Actually VDSL2 is capable of around 250mbps on the 35a profile however, only the 17a profile is permitted by Ofcom.

Openreach took the decision to cap it at 80meg as only a very small proportion of lines can exceed this. Throttle capping, limiting - call it what you will. It exists and it won't be changing.

It's all irrelevant really though, your connection is as good as it gets with the current products available.

I'm sure you'll really miss thay extra 2meg.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

well actually the difference is nearer to 6Mbps given i am getting around 74 Mbps and it wasn't that long ago i was suffering the 7Mbps of ADSL, that is a pottentially significant difference when you consider multiple devices on a network.

regarding VDSL2, my point was that "whats available" has a potential for much higher speeds than 74Mbps, so for someone to suggest that 74Mbps is the fastest available isnt technically accurate and its a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Anyway, the point of my original post was to try and determine whether there was an issue on my line, perhaps indicated by the noise margin, that had occured during or as a result of the switch between standards and the answer to that question is yes.  However it is not a fault per se, but a purposeful act in order to limit or cap (call it what you will) my connection speed that wasn't in place (or at leats not to the same degree) on my ADSL2 service.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution
It's 2meg. The max real life throughput on Infinity 2 is 76meg (74 is more realistic), this is why it is advertised as such.

0 Ratings