cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davidss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Access via Modem

I have a portable scanner that stores the scans, then transmits them via a dial-up modem to any email address. Of course, I normally send them to my own address, but it has been a couple of years since I've used the scanner.

The current problem is that the scanner modem fails to authenticate with the BT Server when dialling in.

I've been given the correct (up to date) number of 0845 756 0000, and the modem seems to get past the initial stage, but the error message says that authentication has failed.

The software in the scanner says it auto-negotiates with the Server, so I don't have to designate the ISP Server Name etc, but it seems the only thing I have left to try is to manually set up the dial-in details, rather than let the (possibly obsolete) software in the scanner do this for me.

The software has the option for me to manually enter ISP server IP addresses and names, but I don't know what they should be.

Can anyone help with providing these details, or suggesting where in BT I should ask for them?

The Broadband helpdesk operators try hard, and in fact gave me the correct phone number, but they seem to struggle to understand queries about dial-in modems, perhaps they don't get many nowadays.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Access via Modem

welcome to the forum

do you have broadband as you don't actually say?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Davidss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Yes I have broadband, via a BT Home hub, but to avoid any interference I've been unplugging the Home hub from the line while I plug my Modem in to test it.

I haven't been actually logging out before unplugging the router from the line; I had assumed that was unnecessary.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Just a possibility..

If your phone number is withheld, you will need to insert 1470 in front of the dial-up number. BT use your CLI to authenticate the connection.

If you need to put in a server name, just use user@btinternet.com and a password of bt. It normally takes no notice of it anyway.

0 Ratings
Davidss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Oh Well Done that man!

It's so long ago I'd forgotten all about a 'number witheld' setting.

I still haven't reached nirvana, but adding the 1470 prefix has got me past the 'failed authentication' error message.

There are some progress messages appearing for a tenth of a second, then it stops with "The SMTP Server would not expect your mail". After some 30 seconds all transmission stops, with the error message still displayed.

I rather like the phrasing 'would not expect', it's almost a very human 'this will be a surprise'!

As well as a manual setting, this device offers some default automated scripts of Pipex, or Demon, or BTinternet. I've selected BTinternet, and with that I've used the SMTP and POP3 Server names of mail.btinternet.com, just as I have specified in my Outlook account.

As Server passwords I've tried both the one I normally use to log into my BTYahoo Broadband account, and the 'bt' you suggested. Both get the same response of "The SMTP Server would not expect your mail".

Network name is either 'Auto' or in the format of an IP address (***.***.***.***). As 'Auto' it's set to 0.0.0.0

Thanks for pushing me further forward, but I've run out of ideas again!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

The mail servers now need SMPT authentication before they will accept mail. See http://www.btyahoo.com/smtp.

and http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876/c/346,412

Whether your software can handle this, is something you are going to have to experiment with.

The login to the server mail.btinternet.com will require your email address and password.

The login user@btinternet.com and password bt, is only any use for starting the initial PPP session.

0 Ratings
Davidss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The mail servers now need SMPT authentication before they will accept mail. ...

Whether your software can handle this, is something you are going to have to experiment with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you hit it on the head again.

There is no option in the fax / scanner software to authenticate the SMTP connection.

I've experimented with Verifying my normal account, as though it was a non-BT account, and while that process was completed successfully it hasn't meant that I can send mail from my scanner programmed to say it's using that account.

The only further option that comes to mind is to create a free email account on gmail, say, then programme the scanner to say it's sending from that account.

But that exercise will wait until tomorrow!!

Thanks very much for your help, I don't think I would have found those guidance pages without your pointers.

Regards, David

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

@Davidss wrote:

The only further option that comes to mind is to create a free email account on gmail, say, then programme the scanner to say it's sending from that account.

I think you'll be hard pressed, these days, to find a mail service that doesn't require authentication.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Well, portable scanners are very cheap these days. So unless there is a very good reason why you need to use your old scanner, it would be much easier to use a new one. Especially as you are sending the scans to yourself.
0 Ratings
Davidss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:
..... unless there is a very good reason why you need to use your old scanner, it would be much easier to use a new one. Especially as you are sending the scans to yourself.

Yes, that thought HAD occured to me, and gains viability if I take IanC's guidance to heart.

I hadn't got around to checking price and availability though.

Thanks to both.

0 Ratings