cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Accessing my CCTV via Home Hub

Hi,

My Home Hub (version 6) has been set up so that I can access my CCTV DVR and it appears to work in most cases but there is one combination that does not work. Can anyone advise me whether there is something else that needs to be set up - or is what I am trying to do just not possible!

1) I can see the CCTV system from within the home network by specifying the internal IP address of the DVR - so that's good.
2) I can access the CCTV system away from home by specifying the DDNS address that I have set up - so that's good too.
3) What I cannot do is to use the DDNS address on my mobile phone when it is connected to my home hub via wifi

Thus I'd be connected to the home hub via wifi, going out across the internet to the DDNS server to get the external IP address of the home hub and then connecting back through the home hub to the CCTV DVR. Is this even possible?

Thanks for your help.

Stay safe!

Bill

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Accessing my CCTV via Home Hub

No, that isn't possible, home hubs don't support NAT loopback.

Message 3 of 14

Thanks - I can now stop trying to make it work!

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14

Yes it's possible, I do it with a Foscam Camera.

I have my app configured for an Onvif camera and monitor the RTSP stream using RTSP over TCP.

If it helps, the app I'm using on my phone is tinyCam pro.

Format is rtsp://{username:password@DDNS Address:Port/stream ID}

Note that it will only work using RTSP over TCP

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Hmm, presumably you are not connecting to the camera directly but are connecting to a cloud service which is triggering the camera to stream to the cloud which you are then monitoring.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 14

No, my camera's far too old to use a cloud service. Just DDNS.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Then I'm struggling to see how it works without NAT loopback. Protocol used shouldn't make any difference.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 14

My camera is an old Foscam one which I've had since it was new, in that time I've accessed it as described by the OP bullet point 3 with a HH5, HH6 and now SH2. Bit rate and FPS are nothing to write home about but it works

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Are you sure you are not connecting via your LAN rather than via your public IP address.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 14

Positive.

I have an app on my phone to monitor the camera whilst I'm away from home which requires DDNS. I also use it occasionally when I'm at home using the same settings and on wi-fi

0 Ratings