Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Acer laptop and BT sim card

Help please.

I have recently got an Acer laptop with built in sim card slot in battery compartment. The modem is Ericsson and the laptop 3G enabled. If I put my BT PAYG sim in slot does not work. If a Voda or O2 sim put in slot it works and I get on the net. I have been told my BT sim is not 3G enabled !!!!!!. The BT PAYG sim works when it is the ZTE dongle. Why does the sim not work in the 3G slot in the Acer. Does BT provide a 3G sim. The Voda and O2 sims work in 3G phones but my BT PAYG sim does not work in these 3G phones. Any ideas. Have phoned various folk on BT help desks who are mystified by this laptop. "Never heard of a laptop with a sim slot". "Are you sure its not somat else" ?? I dispair. I am old, grey, wrinkled and wear glasses and its getting beyonb my ken. The wife says stick to slate and chalk. She who uses peat on open fires no less. !!!

Anyone help an pld man

Cheers

Al;an Jones

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Message 2 of 9

Re: Acer laptop and BT sim card

Hi Alangjones44

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having.

Will need to ask for a little more information. Wondering if the issue is with the Sim is it a pay as you go Sim?

If so does it have credit? This could cause it to not work.

We can investigate just need to know a little bit more.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Hi Alan

Just to let you know the Sim card does not need to be enabled for 3G, however it doesn't rule out that the sim card itself might be faulty or just in need of credit.

Raid

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply. The sim is a PAYG and has about £30 on it so its well in credit

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Hi Alangjones44

It might be a faulty Sim card.

Drop me an email using the contact us form in my profile and I can try to help further with this, will just need some more info.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

You may have to provide the laptop modem with the APN details and dial sequence.

For BT Mobile they are

APN: btmobile2.bt.com
Username: bt
Password: bt

Dial settings *99***1#
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Keith is exactly right. If the BT SIM works fine in the ZTE dongle, then the problem is NOT with the SIM card. The SIM should work over 3G with no issues. Try making a manual dialup network connection with the details that Keith posted and it should work OK.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Keith. Thanks. Can you tell me how I go about doing this APN etc. and dial setting.

Regards

Alan Jones

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

There should be instructions with the laptop on how to configure these settings. It depends on the operating system.

You can always use Google to search for an answer, using your laptop model number as part of the search query.

There should be information somewhere within the 3G modem settings, which tell you where to put the APN and dial details.

0 Ratings