Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 23

Re: Achievable Speed > Sync Speed?

Go to solution

Can you post a screenshot of the hub stats when connected to the test socket please?

0 Ratings
RedGreenBen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Go to solution

As requested...

routertestsocket.JPG

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

Ok, all makes sense now. The problem is with your internal wiring but your line has also been banded to 67Mbps due to the fault. If you disconnect your internal wiring you should get the same results from the normal socket. Once the line is stable, DLM will eventually increase your speed back to its previous level.

RedGreenBen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Thank you, that is helpful. Just to clarify for someone from Cornwall where years of inbreeding has left a bit slow on the uptake....

1. You are saying that once I remove the internal problem then speed will increase over the next day or two without further action by myself or BT? We are only 50m from exchange and have had sync of 80 since FTTC installation.

2. Any idea if it is worth swapping the blue pair currently used for the extension for another colour (I am assuming all wires are equivalent in the cable bundle). If I did this and the problem returned then I could just remove again and the speed would increase by itself?

Thanks again.

Ben

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

It won't be a day or two, it will more likely be weeks rather than days before DLM will be satisfied. Yes, you could try another pair, its possible that if it was working ok before you have somehow shorted or earthed the blue pair.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you use the internet for that needs such high speeds. For normal use, you will see absolutely no difference between 67M and 80M

RedGreenBen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

Yep, a fair question, but I guess my concern is (a) I was promised at least 74 so would like to receive it, (b) It makes little practical difference now but that may not be the case in the future and it will be difficult to 'get back' at a later date. Both those answers are fairly theoretical though and I agree the practical difference is negligible.

For the sake of a £3 tool I'll have a go at a different colour pair and see if that cures the internal wiring fault so I could move my router to its original better location.

BT have now decided that there is no exchange fault after all, but I think we had already concluded that.

Thanks for your help with this. To be honest I preferred the internet in 1999 when it still made a noise.

Ben

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

Try not to make too many disconnections with the router, it won't help the cause with DLM. Also leave at least 30 minutes between any disconnections you make.

0 Ratings
RedGreenBen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

Sorry, not done picking your brain yet...

Leave at least 30 minutes between each short disconnection or each disconnection should be at least 30 minutes long (as it treats short disconnection as more significant).  I assume the former but just to be certain.

Ben

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

Leave at least 30 minutes between all actions, disconnection, re-connection and any subsequent disconnection. DLM looks at total disconnections within a 24 hr period and also disturbances wiithin a 15 minute window, hence the at least 30 minutes to ensure 2 windows between events.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

Ah, that makes much more sense. Originally I thought what BT eng. doesn't do his tests from the test socket but now you tell us he compared both sockets, so identifying bridge taps on the extension wiring while the test socket is giving good high speeds.