Message 11 of 23

Re: Activating my Sky Viewing Card

I also have this problem.

0 Ratings
steviejay
Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Have actually given up on this problem. Got a bill from BT saying I owed them for BT Sport and I said I just use the app, anyway I recontracted as fibre has just become available in my area. Not looking forward to sorting that bill out when it is all up and running, apparently my broadband contract had expired even though I believed it was 18 months.

Have received HH5 and YouView box, so far remote doesn't work the TV, I have started a separate thread. There is no BT Sport or any additional channels (I have the Entertainment Pack) on the YouView guide but my activation date for fibre isn't until the 22nd.

0 Ratings
billybob69
Beginner
Message 13 of 23

I'm in the similar position to the OP.

I'm a BT landline / broadband customer, have a working satellite dish and have a sky box and viewing card that I was given yonks ago by a friend of a friend.

The card is 'active' in so much as I can watch the free channels from this box.

According to this, this is all I need to get BT Sport on my sky box -
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/get-bt-sport-on-sky/

After much of being transferred from department to department, it seems that as I have never been a Sky customer in my life (therefore not on the Sky database) and the viewing card was at some point registered to another person, they cannot simply update my account or permissions so that I get BT Sport via the sky platform.

I finally spoke to someone who explained that the solution was for BT to send me a Sky viewing card and when I receive it, it would be registered to my account and then matched up to my account and box. Unfortanetly as I had been on the line for so long, the battery on my phone went dead and the call was ended before everything was sorted.

No Sky card arrived, so I contacted customer services again. This time I'm being told that the previous information is wrong, BT don't send out Sky cards and the only way that I can get BT Sport via the Sky platform is become a Sky customer!

Can anyone shed on any light on how a BT BB / landline customer with a working sky dish and box (but is not on Sky's databases) can get BT Sport????

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 14 of 23

That's the problem of having a card from "a friend of a friend".

Stew
0 Ratings
billybob69
Beginner
Message 15 of 23

[quote] That's the problem of having a card from "a friend of a friend".

Stew [/quote]

I'm not sure what your insinuating in the comment about "a friend of a friend"?

The box and card could just have easily been given to me by a member of the family, it could have been left behind at the house by the previous owners or bought at a car boot sale. Does it matter how the box and card came into my possession?

I see it more of a problem of now being at a disadvantage because I have been a loyal BT customer and have never left them to a get cheap Sky BB / phone / TV package together with a free box and card......

I appreciate any constructive advice that any forum members can offer.

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 16 of 23

You have a Sky card and a Sky Box. If the box and card had been given to you, you are not the registered owner. Don't blame BT because you don't have an active Sky account registered to you.

Stew
0 Ratings
billybob69
Beginner
Message 17 of 23

[quote] Don't blame BT because you don't have an active Sky account registered to you. [/quote]
I’m not blaming BT that I don’t have an active Sky account registered to me. If the information on the website had said that you either need to have to an active ACCOUNT or be a previous Sky customer – if that is the case - that would have been fine, but it didn’t it said that you need an active CARD, which I have.

If you aren’t able to provide a constructive reply, I’d appreciate if you didn’t respond at all.

Therefore I would appreciate if anyone shed on any light on how a BT BB / landline customer with a working sky dish and box (but is not on Sky's databases) can get BT Sport????
0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 18 of 23

I will save anyone else the time.

You can't.

Stew
How constructive was that!
0 Ratings
OlgaC
Moderator-Retired
Message 19 of 23

Hi guys, 

Just a quick post to keep things friendly! 

@billybob69 What StewM has advised you is correct. Your Sky viewing card has to be registered to the address at which you want BT Sport service so this is why you are having problems.

Cheers,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings
billybob69
Beginner
Message 20 of 23

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

Yep, I understand that my card not being registered to my address (that and as I have never been a Sky customer and therefore are not on their database) is the problem.

What I'm really looking for is the answer as to how a BT BB / landline customer with a working sky dish and box (but is not on Sky's database) can BT Sport????

One BT Rep has told me the solution is that I am sent a new sky card (and BT can arrange this), another BT Rep is telling me that it is not possible for BT to do this and the only solution is to become a Sky subscriber!

0 Ratings