cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdb93
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Activation Delayed and Engineer appointment made even though we set up everything ourselves?!

So the other day I got notified my activation date was going to be delayed.  Not a huge problem as it was only delayed from 1st July to 4th July.  

What worried me was I got a text saying an engineer would visit on the 1st July between 8am-1pm.  Now we specifically chose to set up everything OURSELVES as we can't be in during the day midweek. We have received the router already in the post and it's plugged in and ready to go when the line gets activated.  I tried ringing up to ensure my order was flagged as no engineer appointment and that we had set everything up already.  After being put on hold for 10 minutes I got told I'd get a call back within 24 hours (annoying!) it has been over 48 hours with no communications (surprise surprise).  

Can one of the mods just tell me why an engineer will even be coming because it will be a complete waste of time as we have done our part of setting everything up ready for activation and I don't want the activation date delayed further!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Activation Delayed and Engineer appointment made even though we set up everything ourselves?!

Infinity is self install, but a visit is needed to the cabinet to alter the wiring, so that is most likely the reason why it is showing. I would just ignore it, as it will just be a task sitting on system awaiting allocation.

0 Ratings
sdb93
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Re: Activation Delayed and Engineer appointment made even though we set up everything ourselves?!

So I don't actually need to be present in the property because I won't be there.  

Also just received the email AGAIN about an engineer and now my activation date has gone back to the 6th July! This seems like a never ending process of pointless delays. There's even an openreach van parked on my road so I presume an engineer lives there so why can't they just activate it asap? 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Openreach have to deal with all Service Providers, not just BT Retail. If there are a high level of faults, these take priority, and can delay any provision work.

Depending on where you live, recent heavy rain and storms could have increased the work queue.

0 Ratings
sdb93
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Rained a lot last week but its been fine since here but fair enough.  I can manage on BT WiFi with FON for now. Just to be sure, I can ignore the engineer appointment email if I have the router already?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

If you have received the home hub 5, and filters, and have a working BT Retail telephone line, then a visit will not be needed unless you have paid extra for one.

You can plug the home hub 5 in whenever you like, as sometimes the work gets completed earlier.

0 Ratings
sdb93
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

The emails / text I have received just say "we need ro rearrange your engineer visit" and then give a date.  I have also not had any information stating the phone line doesn't work so I presume there isn't an issue there but i'll check the light colours on the router when I get back. And no, I haven't paid for an engineer visit.  

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 8 of 11

Hi @sdb93 Welcome to the forum and the appointment will be for the engineer to complete the work at the cabinet and not at your property.

Cheers

John 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@JohnC2

This causes a lot of confusion because tasks on the system used to be built for either the exchange, or the customer, there was never one for the cabinet from what I remember.

Therefore I think that cabinet tasks are built for the customer end, which makes them visible as a customer house visit, which is not the case.

I am sure this is the reason for so many "missed" appointments, that are not really for the customer premises, but the cabinet.

Something to think about and perhaps feedback?

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 10 of 11

Hi @Keith_Beddoe I agree the order confirmation email/letter should be clearer about the connection of Infinity and the appointment. It has already been fed back so hopefully it will be made clearer in future.

Thanks

John

0 Ratings