cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pogson
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Activation Fee Rip Off

I signed up to BT for tv/phone/broadband 2 and a half years ago on a 2 year contract - stayed on monthly when it ended. decided to consider going back onto a 12 month contract - I have to pay £50 for Infinity1 activation? I have been an Infinity1 customer (and currently still am) for 30 months. Is my Infinity1 not activated yet?

Also, I must pay £10 for an identical Home Hub - identiocal to the one I am already using?

The Indian (non-English speaking) chat people re-cut and paste the same answer 3 times to a question that bore no resemblance to the response.

Eventually, an advisor told me that the 'activation & delivery' were not for activation nor delivery (strange that the bill said that was what they are for) but were an Upgrade charge - I haven't upgraded anything. In fact, by tying myself into a 12 month contract instead of being able to leave at 30 days notice could be regarded as a downgrade.

BT site's FAQ says the activation fee is in case a technician has to visit the BT box outside my building and may have to visit my flat. Once again I ask - isn't my Infinity1 already activated? I paid the activation fee 30 months ago - did BT not actiate it then?

I have not stopped nor suspended my account at any time since the activation - so why is it not already activated?

Can I have a refund please as your Chat staff in India say I do not have Infinity1 but I have been paying roughly £50 a month for 30 months (£1500) for something BT say needs activating?

My building was cabled last month - looks like Virgin Media here I come.

Patheetic service from BT

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Activation Fee Rip Off

I suspect that there has been a mistake. If you were all ready a BT Infinity customer on a "rolling" monthly contract you should not be charged an activation fee for going onto a yearly contract.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Pogson
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

My query was escalated twice by your Indian based Chat Talk team and every single time, they cut and paste the identical response that had nothing to do with my query. You would've thought that when the answer wasn't relevant once, they wouldn't have kept using the same one! Absolutely awful, twentieth century stanadrds when we are well into the 21st century.

Has BT heard of email or drop down 'Contact Us' forms - like the vast majority of the rest of the world has?

Previously, when I reorted that my phone line wasn't working - they told me to ring you?

Fortunately, my building is now cabled, so I won't need to pay £18 a month for a landline only used to tell me that I have had an accident in the last 3 years or that I have PPI.

It means my options are now much wider than BT or Sky (the building has a communal Sky dish).

Thank you

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. I am not and have never been employed by BT so it is not my Indian Chat Talk Team.

I suggest that you take up the offer of help from the moderators when they contact you via this thread.

Pogson
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thank you

Often these sites have moderators from the company.

I apologise to you personally.

Kind regards

0 Ratings
Pogson
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

It is a genuine and sincere apology.

The fact that it is within the actual official BT website, and bears the registered and copyrighted BT logo, led me errantly to believe that it is a part of BT and moderated by BT.

I meant no offence to any customer trying to assist others.

Kind regards

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

As I stated in my first post, the moderators of this forum are BT employees. They will be able to assist you.

0 Ratings
Pogson
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thank you

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

The forum index page makes it clear this is a customer to customer forum https://community.bt.com/ hope this helps explain further
0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 10 of 10

Hi @Pogson

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry that you have been charged an activation charge for BT Infinity.  This charge would be raised if you were a BT Broadband customer (ADSL) and upgraded to BT Infinity (VDSL) however I understand that you have been on BT Infinity since the start of your previous contract so there shoud've been no need to pay an activation charge again.

I appreciate the time you have spent speaking with my colleagues about this over live chat.  Can you send us your details and we will look into this for you?  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings