cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
F9A
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Actual Browsing/Download Speed at 10% of Speed Test (Losing 90% speed)

Hi all,

I have a weird problem with my line. Summary - when browsing or downloading, my speed is only ever 10% of the speed quoted on the Speed Test (the speed test matches what BT said I should get).

Long version - I used to be with Sky, where I had a 3.5Mbps connection. This was all fine until I moved to BT. I had about a month without broadband, and I believe there was a fault in my area (no details as to what that was I'm afraid), which meant there was a slight delay before my broadband was activated.

When I first went online with BT, I could only get speeds of around 350kps with my download speed, and browsing was very slow, presumably at the same slow speed. There have been 4 engineer visits in the last 6 months, and apparently they've changed quite literally everything from the cabinet to my flat (I am quite far from the exchange I've been told).

BT support could not fix this at all, eventually saying there was nothing they could do. I've now been moved up to Infinity 1...and unbelievably the speed is still at 10% of what I should be getting. It's ALWAYS 10%, regardless of what BT do. 

The weird thing is that Speed tests never show any problem, They always show I'm always getting the speed I should be. But my actual speed is always 10% - I should now be getting about 33Mbps (from the speed test), but having tried to download something the speed stays at about 3.2Mbps. I do not understand why. One of the engineers said that my line was very noisy, would this explain the massive (and constant) 90% speed loss? But I don't understand why that wouldn't show up on the speed test?

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 37.2 Mbps

0 Mbps38.71 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 37.2 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 6.8 Mbps

0 Mbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.8Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

These stats show what I would expect, but again, my ACTUAL speed is 10% of this.

Quiet line test had a very faint static, but barely noticeable.

8. Noise Margin:

6.1 / 8.1

6. Data Rate: 7677 / 39998

I hope I've posted everything correctly.

Final note - I always use a wired connection. I use my computer, a Playstation 4 (both wired) and my phone (wireless). I never use them at the same time (if one is on, the other is powered off, apart from the phone), so this shouldn't affect it.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Actual Browsing/Download Speed at 10% of Speed Test (Losing 90% speed)

Is it possible you are confusing your bits with bytes  https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Technical-Glossary/td-p/1434070#_TocBits

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Are you confusing Mb  Megabits with MB  Megabytes. There are 8 bits in a byte, download speed is usually quoted in Mb/s but file sizes are quoted in MB.

Typing as imj posted.

0 Ratings
F9A
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

It is possible I'm getting my terminology mixed up.

Perhaps an easier way to describe it is that when I had the normal Sky broadband, everything was downloading at the speed it is now, which cannot be right as I have Infinity 1 - so it's definitely far slower than it should be.

Another example would be that with my normal BT broadband before Infinity 1, Youtube videos would only load in the lower settings, never HD, and frequently pause even then. I couldn't load Facebook, because all the videos loading at once stopped the whole thing - I'd get a few stories down and then the pictures/videos would just stop loading completely leaving me with a blank screen with placeholders only.

I'm downloading a 5gb game and it's telling me it'll take 30 mins, is this normal? It seems quite slow to me, I used to have Virgin fibre and I seem to recall it was ridiculously quick.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Keeping in mind it is not an exact science.  The time to download a 5Gb file seems about right for your posted speeds.

See link

http://www.meridianoutpost.com/resources/etools/calculators/calculator-file-download-time.php

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

What speed did you have wth virgin? I think you're getting confused between bits and bytes...
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
F9A
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

I must admit, I can't remember the speed, somewhere in the region of 50Mbps so was pretty quick (this was about 5 years ago).

Can I ask, what speed should I be seeing when I download? I'm sure that the speeds I used to get with Sky were the same speeds I'm seeing now - I'm currently getting about 4MB/s download speed - which is fine, such as it is...I guess what I'm not understanding is that with my old speed (3.5Mbps), I was getting 350 kb/s download speed, which was insanely slow (and bear in mind that with Sky I was getting 3.5Mb/s download speed on a normal ADSL connection).

It makes sense that now that my broadband speed is ten times faster, that my download speed should also be ten times faster...but as the 350kb/s download speed was ridiculous, I would have expected to see a download speed of much more than ten times faster...about 35MB/s really - is this not how it works?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

One thing that often gives people confusion is the difference between a (MB) Megabyte (used for file size) and a (Mb) Megabit (used for download speeds). People often assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second (1 Mbps) will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, a Megabit is 1/8 as big as a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8Mbps.

Going by the stats you have posted and the size of the file you posted I would say there is nothing wrong with your download speeds.

Your connection speed is 10 times faster but that does not nessarily mean your download speeds will be ten times faster. When you download files there are limiting factors such as how fast the source you are downloading from supplies the download.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

You are still, confusing your bits and bytes   for a 3.5mb connection speed and download  speed shown by a website would be 350kbps   rough guide is to divide speed by 8  the link gg posted gives a good indication of download speed from website compared to your connection  speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
murph
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Allowing for the overhead dividing by 10 would be nearer the mark when converting from bits to bytes when dealing with tcp traffic surely?

That gives 0.35MB/s for a 3.5mbps connection which is exatly what the op had.

0 Ratings