cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murph
Beginner
Message 11 of 12

Re: Actual Browsing/Download Speed at 10% of Speed Test (Losing 90% speed)

@F9A wrote:

I must admit, I can't remember the speed, somewhere in the region of 50Mbps so was pretty quick (this was about 5 years ago).

Can I ask, what speed should I be seeing when I download? I'm sure that the speeds I used to get with Sky were the same speeds I'm seeing now - I'm currently getting about 4MB/s download speed - which is fine, such as it is...I guess what I'm not understanding is that with my old speed (3.5Mbps), I was getting 350 kb/s download speed, which was insanely slow (and bear in mind that with Sky I was getting 3.5Mb/s download speed on a normal ADSL connection).

It makes sense that now that my broadband speed is ten times faster, that my download speed should also be ten times faster...but as the 350kb/s download speed was ridiculous, I would have expected to see a download speed of much more than ten times faster...about 35MB/s really - is this not how it works?

35MB/s is 35 mega bytes per second i.e. capital B for bytes  so it would be a bit over 100 times faster than 350kbps or 0.35Mbps (lowercase b for bits).

Your 37Mbps connection could download at up to around 3.7MB/s but as others have said it depends on lots of factors like where the host is, how fast their connection is and how many people are downloading file among others.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 12

Re: Actual Browsing/Download Speed at 10% of Speed Test (Losing 90% speed)

@murph wrote:

Allowing for the overhead dividing by 10 would be nearer the mark when converting from bits to bytes when dealing with tcp traffic surely?

That gives 0.35MB/s for a 3.5mbps connection which is exatly what the op had.

dividing by 8 give max speed so speed just below that is good and maintains the 8 bits to a byte - dividing by 10 does allow for overheads

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings