cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Actual speed is less than data rate...

I've had a number of issues over the past year, but am relatively content with my connection at the moment. Previously it was frequent disconnections I was getting, several engineer visits - ultimately it took the heavy rain from a little while ago to cause damage, that ironically fixed everything. My phone line would cut out and come back, running the test showed a fault at the cabinet which was reported. And that was swiftly fixed, since that day, my connection has not dropped once - besides a power cut that affected the whole street. Anyway, I just wanted to vent and get that off my chest, after all the excuses, the emails, the home visits, it ultimately took the weather to cause damage before my issue was completely resolved.

Anyway, my concern today seems rather trivial in comparison, but it's something I've been meaning to enquire about.

On my devices, both wired and wireless my speed typically comes in at 32mb download. When looking at the BT Hub 6 stats it's reporting a download speed of above 36mb (BT WIFI is disabled). Should my speed, especially over a wired connection be close to what is reported on the Hub 6? Has some kind of cap been placed to limit my speed?

BT Hub 6 info

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

Xxxxxxxx

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

04-Aug-2017

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

23 Days, 13 Hours 35 Minutes 46 Seconds

Data rate:

7.26 Mbps / 36.76 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

7180 / 37996

Noise margin:

7 dB / 3.5 dB

Line attenuation:

27.1 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

43915 MB Uploaded / 837123 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Actual speed is less than data rate...

The hub shows the connection speed which includes transmission overheads. The download speed will always be lower, and is determined by the IP profile.

There is nothing wrong with your connection.

0 Ratings