Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris101
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Adding Bridge Devices on HH4 when you also have BT Whole Home Wi Fi

Go to solution

Hi Forum

I wonder if anyone else has come across challenge of adding bridge devices ( eg Philips Hue / Tado Smart Heating ) to limited number of ethernet ports on HH4 and where you also have BT Whiole Home Wi Fi and Apple Homekit as preferred integration method but the new bridges seem to only want to use old HH4 wi fi and not the excellent BT Whole Home Wi Fi.

Two issues arising.

1. Running out of ethernet ports on HH4.

2. Seems plugging a bridge device directly into HH4 means it uses the router wi fi and not the BT Whole Home Wi Fi.

The BT Whole Home WI Fi works a treat and has got rid of dead zones and issues jumping from one powerline extender to another. Disc 1 is plugged into ethernet port on HH4 and the HH4 is also connected to via BT Broadband 1000 extender to household electrics and each of the other BT Whole Home Discs is then also connected to via BT extender with ethernet. This seems to ensure each has excellent connections but importantly is on the same BT Whole Home Wi Fi network. 

Unfortunately when adding first bridge device to HH4 I discovered the bridge device now sits on the old HH4 Wi Fi network and not the BT Whole Home Wi Fi. Can't see away of adding the Bridge devices from likes of Philips or Tado to the BT Whole Home Disc. Instructions say it has to be the router. Note there is only one ethernet connection in back of BT Whole Home Disc.

So in testing the set up and in Apple Homekit it was only when I was connect on my iphone via old HH4 wi fi that I could get the device to respond. Same was true of accessories (eg smart radiator valve )

It means to control the Homekit devices I have to log off the nice and reliable BT Whole Home Wi Fi and use the old HH4 Wi Fi and that only works close to the router itself due to solid brick walls etc restricting signal.

Note have the Apple TV 4th gen connected to BT Whole Home wi fi to enable remote control when outside the home. So this is also potential break in the seamlessness of the set up.

Preference is to use Apple Homekit to manage devices ( all of which are Apple Homekit compatible) and strangely seems quicker at interacting with devices added to Home than the individual apps for each product.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Chris101
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Adding Bridge Devices on HH4 when you also have BT Whole Home Wi Fi

Go to solution
Update After My Own Investigations:

Adding a new TP 5 Port Ethernet Switch connected by No1 ethernet port on HH4 then adding bridge devices AND first ethernet link to first BT WholeHome Wi Fi Disc immediately resolved the issue.

Each bridge device happy, all operational on their individual apps AND all operational on Apple Homekit.

Don’t understand why that configuration works but sharing in case someone has something similar in future.
Chris101
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
For clarification, all bridge devices and first disc connected to Ethernet switch not the HH4
LW1
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Just registered to say thank you so much for this solution. I've been tearing my hair out for weeks since buying Whole Home WiFi trying to get HomeKit devices to work to no avail. Your solution fixed it instantly for less than £10. I'm using HomeHub 5. I imagine this will become a more widespread problem as takeup of these devices increases and hopefully your post will help lots of people out.

0 Ratings
Chris101
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Glad to hear the post helped you out.

Oddly enough my own HH4 began playing up not long after so BT sent a HH5 as replacement FOC.

Will now be looking to replicate your success with this set up on HH5!

Halon
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
I was also pulling my hair out with this so was very grateful to find a solution. I bought a switch from Amazon which arrived today. Just before I started connecting it I checked HomeKit again... and it’s working fine. I haven’t made any changes to my setup and for no apparent reason HomeKit has now decided it can find the Hue bridge. Shrug.
0 Ratings
Tasslehoff62
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you so much for this solution. I’ve been trying to fix this for nearly a year 👍🙂 Worked instantly and I had a spar3 5 port switch already so was also very quick to implement

0 Ratings